Suggestions for learning how to create a Desktop App for beginners RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to be able to create a Desktop App.  Which software do your recommend for this? C++, .Net, Visual C#? I would like to be able to insert graphics image and do simple calculations in my app.  I am trying to do this for a college project.  Thank you for your suggestions.

Linda

Friday, February 3, 2012 3:33 PM

Answers

• I would suggest VB or C# (both .Net), both functionally very similar, just with different syntax - it you don't know either then perhaps C# - closer to other C type languages and more transferable.  Either have plenty of wizards etc to create windows, forms controls etc as well as calculational code and there are good forum for help on MSDN.
    Friday, February 3, 2012 6:25 PM

All replies

• I would suggest VB or C# (both .Net), both functionally very similar, just with different syntax - it you don't know either then perhaps C# - closer to other C type languages and more transferable.  Either have plenty of wizards etc to create windows, forms controls etc as well as calculational code and there are good forum for help on MSDN.
    Friday, February 3, 2012 6:25 PM
  • Thank you for your suggestion. So, VB, C# and C++ are all .Net?  The C# has Wizards to create Windows - that sounds great! I do want to do simple calculations also. Thanks again.

Linda Whiteford
    Monday, February 6, 2012 5:09 AM
  • C++ is not .Net, but there is a variant called C++/CLR which is (its only really useful as a glue between native (unmanaged C++) and managed code like C# or VB.  I wouldn't use C++/CLR unless you are linking native C++ and managed (.Net) C#.

C# and VB have something called WPF (Windows Presentation Foundation) which helps create nice windowing apps using wizards.  There are default projects for all the main project types (Forms, console, wpf etc) in VS2010 Express.

Monday, February 6, 2012 6:51 PM