Play a .mov file with mjpeg stream RRS feed

• Question

• I am playing video file with Media Foundation.

There are .mov files encoded with M-JPEG(video stream).

I try to use Media foundation to play them with MediaSession but they can not be open. Some of them could be decoded if I manully set up the topology with M-JPEG decoder(Windows Media Player could also view these files). Some of them could not be play at all even if I use M-JPEG decoder(these file could played in Windows Media Player with no vision but sound).

What should I do if I'd like to use Media Foundation support these files? Any suggestion is appreciated.

P.S. I am pretty sure these files are intect and they could be played with other players.

Saturday, April 2, 2011 9:13 AM

All replies

• For playback of media stored in MOV files in any media player/platform that isn't Quicktime must have express permission from Apple to do so. This is what the copywrite team at Apple told me when I was working on an MOV project.

You could write your own MOV Media Source but you'll have to pay royalties.

Saturday, April 2, 2011 2:53 PM
  • Thanks for your remind. About this issue, I read instructions from msdn says MediaFoundation support .mov as a file container of MPEG-4. Does that means Windows has pay the royalties? So, I can use default media source? But if I create my own source there will be a problem?

If I create a source for MOV file, what should I do to support playback for those files I have? Any parameter to set or docs to read?

Wednesday, April 6, 2011 5:01 AM
  • Not sure what the situation is with a microsoft MOV byte stream handler. If there is one that ships with Windows & Media Foundation, it's legal to use. If it's a 3rd party media source you installed yourself, it may not be.

Have a look on the Apple Developer website which has an email address for the legal team that deals with Quicktime. Tell them what you are working on and they'll let you know what you can do without having to pay royalties.

Thursday, April 7, 2011 2:20 AM