Visual Studio XAML designer crashing - Package could not be registered. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80073CF6)

General discussion

• I'm running Visual Studio (VS2012 Express for Win8, version 11.0.51106.01 Update 1), and everything was running ok for many weeks and today while opening the same project I've been working on, and open a XAML file in the project, the designer crashes with the info below:

========== VISUAL STUDIO ERROR

System.Exception
    Package could not be registered. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80073CF6)
       at Microsoft.Expression.HostUtility.Platform.AppContainerProcessDomainFactory.CreateDesignerProcess(String applicationPath, String clientPort, Uri hostUri, IDictionary environmentVariables, Int32& processId, Object& processData)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Primitives.ProcessDomainFactory.ProcessIsolationDomain..ctor(ProcessDomainFactory factory, IIsolationBoundary boundary, AppDomainSetup appDomainInfo, FrameworkName targetFramework, String identifier, String baseDirectory)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Primitives.ProcessDomainFactory.CreateIsolationDomain(IIsolationBoundary boundary)
       at Microsoft.Expression.HostUtility.Platform.AppContainerProcessDomainFactory.CreateIsolationDomain(IIsolationBoundary boundary)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Primitives.IsolationBoundary.Initialize()
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Primitives.IsolationBoundary.CreateInstance[T](Type type)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.IsolatedExportProvider.Initialize()
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ExpressionHost.Services.VSIsolationService.CreateExportProvider(IIsolationTarget isolationTarget, ICatalogFactory catalogFactory, IExportFilter filter)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.IsolationService.CreateLease(IIsolationTarget isolationTarget)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.IsolatedDesignerService.CreateLease(IIsolationTarget isolationTarget, CancellationToken cancelToken, DesignerServiceEntry& entry)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.IsolatedDesignerService.IsolatedDesignerView.CreateDesignerViewInfo(CancellationToken cancelToken)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.IsolatedTaskScheduler.InvokeWithCulture[T](CultureInfo culture, Func`2 func, CancellationToken cancelToken)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.IsolatedTaskScheduler.<>c__DisplayClassa`1.<StartTask>b__6()
       at System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1.InnerInvoke()
       at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()

==========

I have seen no solution in all the forums, and now I'm stuck.

Other important points:
    - taskmanager does not show xdesproc.exe running
    - restarting explorer.exe did not help
    - rebooting did not help
    - there are no updates available for my computer (which is Running Windows 8)
    - the event logger for Apps and services/Microsoft/Windows/AppXDeployment-Server/.. operational has several errors. In order from earlier to later:

========== ERROR LOG

* error 0x80072EE4: The Visual Elements extension failed while processing the Notification element.
    * error 0x80072EE4: While installing the App.aca0ebe48.abe59.a491c.ab95a.a4c4120121be1_1.0.0.0_x86_NorthAmerica_8wekyb3d8bbwe package, the system failed to register the windows.visualElements extension due to the following error: <Error message string not found>.
    * error 0x80072EE4: Cannot register the App.aca0ebe48.abe59.a491c.ab95a.a4c4120121be1_1.0.0.0_x86_NorthAmerica_8wekyb3d8bbwe package because the following error was encountered during the registration of the windows.visualElements extension: <Error message string not found>.
    * error 0x80073CF6: Cannot register the App.aca0ebe48.abe59.a491c.ab95a.a4c4120121be1_1.0.0.0_x86_NorthAmerica_8wekyb3d8bbwe package due to the following error: Package could not be registered.
    * (info, not error) The last successful state reached was PackagesInUseClosed.
    * Deployment Register operation on Package App.aca0ebe48.abe59.a491c.ab95a.a4c4120121be1_1.0.0.0_x86_NorthAmerica_8wekyb3d8bbwe from:  (C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\11.0\Designer\ShadowCache\lk5ipo2o.hpt\wepdsj14.crm\AppXManifest.xml)  failed with error 0x80073CF6. See http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=235160 for help diagnosing app deployment issues.
    * error 0x80073CF6: AppX Deployment operation failed. The specific error text for this failure is: error 0x80072EE4: The Visual Elements extension failed while processing the Notification element.

Any help appreciated.

el_ber

• Edited by el_ber Wednesday, December 26, 2012 1:26 AM
    Wednesday, December 26, 2012 1:24 AM

All replies

• Well, I need to fix this, as I need to finish the project, so I uninstalled visual studio, rebooted, reinstalled it, reinstalled the updates, rebooted, and now it is back working again.

Long fix, but at least I am not getting this error any more (for now).

[end]

el_ber

Wednesday, December 26, 2012 1:44 AM