Troubleshooting sporadic Outlook crash caused by my VSTO on customer machines RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having a tough time troubleshooting this. On a handful of customer machines, my VSTO add-in works fine 99% of the time but occasionally the Outlook process becomes unresponsive and crashes. After the process dies and the program is restarted, there's an error message, "Outlook experienced a serious problem with the '<My Addin Name>' add-in. If you have seen this message multiple times, you should disable this add-in and check to see if an update is available. Do you want to disable this add-in?". One user didn't seem to be doing anything in Outlook when the process became unresponsive. Another user reported it happened when clicking buttons in my add-in's ribbon controls. I can't seem to rero the problem myself.

I have event logs from a few of the machines, and the only common exceptions I see are like this:

Faulting application name: OUTLOOK.EXE, version: 14.0.7012.1000, time stamp: 0x514a1b69
    Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.18409, time stamp: 0x53159a86
    Exception code: 0xe0434352
    Fault offset: 0x0000c42d
    Faulting process id: 0x1984
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d00fcf487df866
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\OUTLOOK.EXE
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\syswow64\KERNELBASE.dll
    Report Id: f9f4d362-7c02-11e4-b727-ecf4bb39a865
    Faulting package full name: %14
    Faulting package-relative application ID: %15

And

The description for Event ID 2000 from source Microsoft Office 14 cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event: 

Microsoft Outlook
    Outlook experienced a serious problem with the '<My Addin Name>' add-in. If you have seen this message multiple times, you should disable this add-in and check to see if an update is available. Do you want to disable this add-in?

And

Add-in execution error. Outlook crashed during the 'Close' callback of the 'InspectorEvents_10' interface while calling into the '<My Addin Name>' add-in. 

That last one seems promising but it's pointing to Inspector wrapping code that's boilerplate from this MSDN article: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/ff973716%28v=office.14%29.aspx . So, I'm not sure why it would have issues.

I saw this thread (https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/edbdea28-c756-4fe0-9413-c9f55ed870c3/outlook-2010-experience-a-serious-problem-with-crm-2011-addin?forum=crm) with a similar error, but their cause was a conflicting add-in which I don't see on our problem machines.

Let me know if anyone has ideas on how to troubleshoot this. Some of the customers are internal to my company, so that opens some doors. But I'm really hitting a brick wall at the moment.

Friday, December 5, 2014 10:07 PM

Answers

• This ended up being a race condition Eugene helped me with on this thread.
    • Marked as answer by JVimes3 Monday, August 31, 2015 9:48 PM
    Monday, August 31, 2015 9:48 PM

All replies

• Hello,

What add-ins do you have installed on the PC?

> Add-in execution error. Outlook crashed during the 'Close' callback of the 'InspectorEvents_10' interface while calling into the '<My Addin Name>' add-in. 

Are you able to reproduce the issue with a newly created add-in and the Close event handler? Does it work without a wrapper?

Saturday, December 6, 2014 12:02 PM
  • On one of the user machines, these are the other, Active add-ins:

• Microsoft Exchange Add-in (UmOutlookAddin.dll)
    • Microsoft Outlook Social Connector (SOCIALCONNECTOR.DLL)
    • Microsoft SharePoint Server Colleague Import Add-in (ColleagueImport.dll)
    • Outlook Change Notifier (OutlookChangeNotifierAddIn.dll)
    • GoToMeeting Outlook COM Addin (G2MOutlookAddin.dll). I disabled this just in case, but don't know if it contributed to the crash.

I can't reproduce the problem at all. Those having it can't reproduce it at will; It happens randomly.

Is the wrapper unnecessary? I assumed it was doing something (I inherited this code from consultant). Now that I look more closely, we're not implementing any of the handlers it registers/unregisters. Apart from those, we register a Closed event handler (not "Close", per the error) that removes the inspector from a list we're keeping. I see a call to WaitForPendingFinalizers(), but I don't see any Finalize() implementations in the code.

Since I can't reproduce the issue, I won't know if experimenting with the code fixed it. That's my conundrum. I'm trying to think of clever ways to get clues to the cause of the crash on the user-machines.

• Edited by JVimes3 Monday, December 8, 2014 5:58 PM formatting
    Monday, December 8, 2014 5:58 PM
  • It looks like your add-in is not compatible with one of the add-ins. I'd suggest testing your add-in isolated, i.e. when all other add-ins are disabled.

Please update the thread if you find something.

Monday, December 8, 2014 6:56 PM
  • Thanks, I'll try to have some users do that. It will be weeks before we have confidence that it worked, if it does work. In the meantime, if anyone else has ideas of where else to look for clues on a user-machine, please post. This issue is not yet solved.
    Monday, December 8, 2014 7:18 PM
  • This ended up being a race condition Eugene helped me with on this thread.
    • Marked as answer by JVimes3 Monday, August 31, 2015 9:48 PM
    Monday, August 31, 2015 9:48 PM