none
VERY long initial backup RRS feed

• Question

• Initial Azure backup (Windows desktop PC on peer to peer network in small business) is taking a VERY long time.

Total file volume is about 200Gb, and about 160,000 files.

Backing up from Windows 10 Pro computer. (No server present).

Computer is new. Clean install of Win 10 Pro. Folders/Files then transfer from another computer.

Using Azure Backup for the first time.

Agent configured to run at 9.30pm each night.

Initial backup triggered 9.30pm on Sunday 21 July.

It is now 9.30am on Wednesday 24 July, i.e. 60 hours later.

(Backups on Monday and Tuesday night failed because the earlier one was still in progress).

If I double click on the Job in the "Microsoft Azure Backup" view in Microsoft Management Console I'm told "Data transfer is in progress. It might take longer .. etc". And, after running for 60hours continuously, the Data Transferred column says only "8.43Gb"!

The computer has been used only lightly for other tasks for about 1-2hr during that 60hr period.

Internet activity from other devices on the peer-to-peer network has been light and totalling only 2-4 hours.

A few weeks ago I downloaded 4+Gb Win 10 Pro installer (to another computer using the same internet connection) and this completed in several hours.

In the Azure Backup documentation that I read prior to setting up Azure Backup, it said to consider offline backup if there were several Tb to backup - but I had only 200Gb (0.2Tb) so I thought it would be fine.

I'm in Perth in Western Australia. Internet connection is broadband, but we are not on the nbn yet.

Backup is to the Melbourne data centre.

Windows Defender and Malwarebytes are installed and running.

How long is it going to take because it's severely interfering with my work?

I'm debating whether to cancel and then use offline backup - but that involves trusting disk transport and I'm loath to do that unless necessary.

What should I do please?

Wednesday, July 24, 2019 1:46 AM

Answers

All replies

• Suggest you to refer the troubleshooting guide - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/backup/backup-azure-troubleshoot-slow-backup-performance-issue and see if that helps resolving the issue.

Wednesday, July 24, 2019 7:53 AM
  • Thank you for reply.

I am looking into the advice on that page.

I will only know if there is an issue on my system, or an issue with Azure Backup itself, if I know what is "normal".

So:

I have used an internet speed test, provided by my ISP, which reveals upload speed to be 0.6Mbps.

Over a 0.6Mbps connection, from a Windows 10 Pro i5 PC, for an initial Azure Backup of 200Gb, and 160,000 files, how long should that "normally" take?

After 80 hours, only 11.45Gb was backed up, and my internet connection was totally clogged, so for now I've cancelled the backup until I know the answer to the above question about how long it SHOULD take.

• Edited by JezPerth Thursday, July 25, 2019 1:42 AM
    Thursday, July 25, 2019 1:41 AM
  • The data transfer rate depends on the network bandwidth as well. Enable throttling from Azure Backup agent console > Change properties and see if that make any difference.

Thursday, July 25, 2019 10:23 AM
  • The pc is on a simple peer to peer network. It is direct wired to router. The internet speed test already referred to must go thru network and router and hence network bandwidth must have been already part of that test. Yes? It would be very helpful to know a backup time estimate based on all the info provided.
    Thursday, July 25, 2019 10:29 AM
  • It is hard to give an exact estimate of time to transfer data. If you're keen to know why backups are slow, then a proper technical investigation is required and that cannot be done over a public forum. I strongly recommend creating a technical support request and work with our engineer to troubleshoot this issue. Here is the link https://docs.microsoft.com/en-in/azure/azure-supportability/how-to-create-azure-support-request to create support case. Let me know if you've any constraints creating a support ticket.

Thursday, July 25, 2019 11:37 AM
  • Yes I can a open support case but, before I do that .. here are the Performance Monitor graphs (while Azure Backup is executing today) referred to on the troubleshooting page you provided. Do they tell you anything please? (I tried changing the scale for the three memory counters but couldn't get the three lines to drop below the top of the chart, i.e. 100).

Edit: I've just checked the support page you referred me to, and it says I need a $29/mo support plan to lodge a technical support request. I am a new Azure Backup customer and I hope you can help me resolve this without resorting to a monthly plan that I may have no ongoing need for. Aside: My business is a MS Partner (database developer/supplier to govt and commercial entities), and Action Pack subscriber, so perhaps a technical support case could be lodged through those? .. but your feedback on the above monitoring data would be helpful because I've followed all the other recommendations on the troubleshooting page.

cheers, Jeremy

• Edited by JezPerth Friday, July 26, 2019 8:24 AM add info
    Friday, July 26, 2019 8:12 AM
  • Send me an email to AzCommunity @ Microsoft dot com with the subject line "VERY long initial backup" and share the subscription id. I shall enable one time free support for your subscription to connect you with our technical support engineer.

Friday, July 26, 2019 11:04 AM
  • Thanks SadiqhAhmed.

Em just sent.

• Marked as answer by JezPerth Sunday, July 28, 2019 12:16 AM
    Sunday, July 28, 2019 12:16 AM
  • I've enabled one time free technical support on your subscription. Please reach out to technical support to investigate this issue and upon receiving resolution, share the same with us on this forum.
    Tuesday, July 30, 2019 9:27 AM