Intergrate chat into website RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Im creating a social networking website as a project for my internals in visual basic.. project is near to completion but i wanna add a chat application like that on facebook to my website... can i have some suggestions?

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 5:10 AM

Answers

All replies

• I don't think this is Visual Basic .NET that you're talking about here. Perhaps SilverLight? ASP.NET?

If a post helps you in any way or solves your particular issue, please remember to use the Propose As Answer option or Vote As Helpful
    ~ "The universe is an intelligence test." - Timothy Leary ~

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 5:32 AM
  • You can do that with Visual Basic Net.

However, that is the code part, you first have to design the complete environment needed for your application. Chat can be done on many ways from which some are really outdated. 

So try first to take more time how it can be build undependable from any program language.

There is no template for it likewise for instance a VB asp.net or VB windows forms project.

If you simply use google with the sentence "how to build a chat application" you find direct for instance this VB one.

http://www.bigspeed.net/articles/securechatvb7/securechat.html

Which I never saw before, so just a link I found. Be aware that chat is always an open port for hackers.

Success
    Cor

• Marked as answer by Euqoe Wednesday, March 14, 2012 4:46 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Euqoe Wednesday, March 14, 2012 4:48 PM
    Wednesday, March 14, 2012 7:57 AM
  • Hi Cor, Thanks for the reply. My project is a Social Networking site for our institution which me and my colleagues have coded in visual basic, so there are just limited amount of users predefined in the database. Now i want to integrate chat application just like that on facebook and have no idea whatsoever from where to start. i searched online and found this link which actually works and the code is in C# http://blogs.msdn.com/b/theothersteve/archive/2010/04/19/how-to-create-a-peer-to-peer-chat-application-using-wpf-and-wcf-in-visual-studio-2010.aspx Now i need to know if this application can be embedded in my website and if yes how to do so. And if no, now you have got a rough idea of what I'm trying to say so i'd be glad if you could help me out with this. Regards
    Wednesday, March 14, 2012 4:59 PM
  • Hi Euqoe,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

To use WCF service in ASP.NET web application, I’d suggest you check this guide to Windows Communication Foundation  and the WCF forum . And here is another example about chat application for ASP.NET.

I hope this will be helpful.

Best regards,

Shanks Zen
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

• Proposed as answer by Cor Ligthert Thursday, March 15, 2012 8:13 AM
    • Marked as answer by Youen Zen Wednesday, April 4, 2012 8:32 AM
    Thursday, March 15, 2012 7:03 AM
  • Hello Euqoe

I had a similar requirement some time ago. You can try a commercial chat component which i ended up doing. Something like mangochat.net. I am using it with c# but it can be used with vb.net as well. The interface is similar to facebook style chat similar to what you need.

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 7:43 PM