none
Can I run Apps for Office in Office Web App? RRS feed

• Question

• In the Insert tab of Excel Web App, I don't see an entry for Apps for Office so I assume the answer is no?

Sunday, January 26, 2014 4:14 PM

Answers

• Hi Seangle,

Apps for Office could be run in Excel Web App, but we can’t insert an app for Office in Excel Web App.

To run the apps for Office in Excel Web App, create an Excel workbook on desktop, insert an app into the worksheet, then upload the workbook to SharePoint Online or Skydrive.

After that, you can see the app for Office running in Excel Web App.

In addition, please refer to Overview of apps for Office. Apps for Office apply to Excel Web App, Outlook Web App at present.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, January 27, 2014 10:30 AM

All replies

• The answer is no for the moment.  MS is working on this functionality, but there is no ETA on when o(or if) it might be available.

Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    Principal Architect: Blue Chip Consulting Group
    Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

Sunday, January 26, 2014 9:55 PM
  • Hi Seangle,

Apps for Office could be run in Excel Web App, but we can’t insert an app for Office in Excel Web App.

To run the apps for Office in Excel Web App, create an Excel workbook on desktop, insert an app into the worksheet, then upload the workbook to SharePoint Online or Skydrive.

After that, you can see the app for Office running in Excel Web App.

In addition, please refer to Overview of apps for Office. Apps for Office apply to Excel Web App, Outlook Web App at present.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Monday, January 27, 2014 10:30 AM
  • Hi George, I tried what you suggested:

"To run the apps for Office in Excel Web App, create an Excel workbook on desktop, insert an app into the worksheet, then upload the workbook to SharePoint Online or Skydrive."

However, when I open the spreadsheet in Excel Web App, I got an empty task pane with an error message at the top.

App Warning This app is not available in the Web app. Open this document in desktop version of Office to use the app.

My app is not published in the Office App store so I also tried the PayPal Invoicing app. After I open saved Excel file in the Excel Web app, I see the following error at the top of the task pane:

App Error We couldn't connect to the catalog server for this app.

Monday, January 27, 2014 7:33 PM
  • Hi Seangle,

If your app hasn’t published, you can’t get the app from Excel Web App.

To publish an app for Office, please refer to How to: Publish an app for Office.

In addition, I also found that PayPal Invoicing app couldn’t be load in Excel Web App, but the message is a bit different:

The sample workbook from here.

I will give you feedback if I have any update.

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 10:10 AM
  • Hello,

We need to open app from excel online. Our users doesn't have Office installed in their computer(PC). Users has Office 365 license subscription only. We want to show app demo with online excel without use of desktop client to the users.

I also read Microsoft Office 365 Roadmap from following link.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-in/products/office-365-roadmap-FX104343353.aspx 

After reading road map of Office 365, it seems that 'Apps for Office for Excel Online' feature is in development. 

Could you please let us know when it can be available to end user? Is it any preview edition available where we can check our app online?

Thursday, September 4, 2014 11:33 AM
  • Just Keep an eye on the Roadmap.  That's the best source of information on when something will be deployed.  If all the users have Office 365 licenses then they probably also have a license for Office Pro Plus which they can install directly from the Office 365 site using Click to Run.  

Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    Principal Architect: Blue Chip Consulting Group
    Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

Friday, September 5, 2014 11:36 AM