Finally out of Metro UI, happiest Windows 8 user now

General discussion

• I gave Metro UI/start menu few days to see if they can impress me on my Toshiba laptop without any touch/tablet capabilities. They did not for the below reasons:

1. I don't want to see start menu covering whole of my screen each time I press "Start"

2. No means to close Metro UI's. I know, windows-8 memory/resource management is great, but I want to have the control.

3. Scrolling that Metro desktop with mouse sucks.

4. I like the desktop widgets more than metro tiles

5. No intuitive shutdown/restart options in metro UI

6. "Start" icon used while you are in Metro desktop app is so out of whack, it does not fit the taskbar theme, desktop theme or anything. It looks as if desktop window manager forgot to pain lower left corner.

So I followed the suggestions from Joao M Correia on another thread(Windows 8 Start Button) and renamed shsxs.dll, after a reboot I was so glad to see old start menu, start button. I feel like home. I admire/appreciate  the effort Microsoft put in to Metro UI, I am sure it will be awesome on tablet PC, but on traditional mouse/keyboard I don't need Metro. 

Good thing about renaming shsxs.dll is that all other Windows-8 improvements are retained including ribbon for explorer, idle screen with time and battery status etc.

Regards, Adarsha
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 3:27 PM

All replies

• Thank you for sharing your experience, I would like to give some comment here:

1)Metro style would cover whole screen is a great idea for touch screen but I guess it could improve that also be great for laptop and desktop.

2)Close application was something that been around for many years and losing the close function is a bit difficult since we been using Windows for many years. But function would make your job easier, instead of close them Windows will take care for you. What is bad about close automaticaly? But it is also good idea to have close icon any way.

3)Scroll with mouse could be difficult , why don't you try page down and page up in keyboard instead?

4)It is good idea, but I suggest pass some suggestion about improve metro style rather than back to old version

5)You could shutdown by bring mouse on down left corner of screen and then click on option and power and then you have shutdown.

Your idea are good and I suggest that also follow some of my suggestions.

Saturday, October 01, 2011 10:45 AM
  • "What is bad about close automatically"?

This has already been stated numerous times in other posts, but since people keep asking, and it is so important, it is worth stating again. Leaving apps open creates a significant problem for task-switching, because apps that the user knows that they don't want to use still show up in the "open apps" list. Yes, you can change the number of apps that the system will leave open; but it has to guess which apps you want to close. And no matter what heuristic the system uses to try to figure out which apps to close, it will often be wrong, because it has cut out the best source of information it has about which apps need to be open and which apps don't: the user!

Moderator | MCTS .NET 2.0 Web Applications | My Blog: http://www.commongenius.com
    Monday, October 03, 2011 3:36 PM
  • Mvadu, your experience mirrors mine.  Hopefully things will improve as Windows 8 gets developed.
    • Edited by KHemmelman Monday, October 03, 2011 4:49 PM
    Monday, October 03, 2011 4:49 PM
  • Cyber_Defend_Team
    I installed a new build of Dev Preview this weekend as part of install fair. So I got my Metro UI back, and I still don't like it. One more point  to add
    7. Searching in start menu is not user friendly.
    E.g. search Device, in Windows-7 its one UI which shows everything related to devices (including Devices and Printers, Device Manager). In Windows-8 it does not show results directly, it has a result count (App(0), Settings(2)) and you need to expand settings, and then access your control panel app.

Regards, Adarsha
    • Edited by mvadu Tuesday, October 11, 2011 5:21 PM
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 5:21 PM
  • Thank you for your feedback, this forum will monitor by Windows Product team and feedback and suggestion that you and other people said will review. About search, I am agree it should show all and if user wants then click and chose category it would be nice, also put all in category by top . I guess these are things that will address in future release.
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 12:17 PM