none
Visual Studio 2015 "Go to definition" and "Quick action" commands in markup files

Question

• Noted that VS2015 has pretty poor abilities on markup files (.aspx\.ascx) in Web Forms applications.

I believe that previous versions have "Go To Definition" option in markups ie to move to my custom control class definition directly from markup.

Now I need copy\paste name into "Navigate To" menu to find these files.

And much more annoying thing is disability to move to event handler (ie in case of <asp:Button ID="fooBtn" runat="server" OnClick="fooBtn_Click" Text="Foo"/> I can't navigate to method "fooBtn_Click" with hotkey and need to switch to CodeView and then search for this method).

Any ideas why it happened or something wrong with my configuration?

Thanks!

Monday, November 16, 2015 6:26 AM

Answers

• Hi BCEM,

Thank you for posting in MSDN forum.

I tested this issue on my visual studio 2015 and 2013, both don't have "Go to Definition" and "Quick Action", see the screen shot below:

(1) Visual studio 2015:

(2) Visual Studio 2013

I suggest you could double click the button "Foo", and it will go to the "fooBtn_Click" method.

Best Regards,

Jiayi

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by BCEM Wednesday, November 18, 2015 5:21 AM
    Tuesday, November 17, 2015 2:29 AM

All replies

• Hi BCEM,

Thank you for posting in MSDN forum.

I tested this issue on my visual studio 2015 and 2013, both don't have "Go to Definition" and "Quick Action", see the screen shot below:

(1) Visual studio 2015:

(2) Visual Studio 2013

I suggest you could double click the button "Foo", and it will go to the "fooBtn_Click" method.

Best Regards,

Jiayi

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by BCEM Wednesday, November 18, 2015 5:21 AM
    Tuesday, November 17, 2015 2:29 AM
  • Thanks Jiayi!

Seems that you are right and it was my mistake. I've used ReSharper with older versions of VS and perhaps this is its feature.

Wednesday, November 18, 2015 5:24 AM