none
Support for binary streaming of ADO.NET datasets RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I was wondering if there is any sort of precedent or official .NET support for streaming manually-created Datasets over a network stream in some sort of binary format. Specifically, is there any support for .NET datasets to be streamed in a row-by-row manner (for my application it would be preferrable to not have to wait until the entire dataset has been created in memory before sending it over to a consumer)?

Thanks in advance.
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 1:07 AM

Answers

• You could always stream a DataSet over WCF or .Net remoting in a binary format. Then you call this layer async to fill up a dataSet this would sort of do what you want. There isn't a way to stream a DataSet. You could just do this over a webservice and async load it in.

Why are you passing around streaming dataset's anyway? Even though I gave a possible pattern for you to implement, I really couldn't recommend this approach until I knew more about what your application is doing. To me streaming dataset's sounds like a pattern I would not recommend in fact. Are you using this as a DTO (Data Transfer Object)?

Thanks
    Chris Robinson
    Program Manager - DataSet

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 2:49 PM