Windows 8 dev preview impressions

General discussion

• I stuck the preview and a older but pretty decent machine.  from the system point of view, i would say very nice. system responds cleanly,  and fast. the whole metroUI/Desktop parasigm, tho:

I like the concecpt of the metroUI, and having a single OS.  combining, the UI paradigm will be hard, tho...  after i played arround some I notice some things the made my intial irks not as important:

1. win +d  - goes right to the desktop
    2. win +q  - search box
    3. winkey plus start typing bring up search and dynamicly brings up apps list
    4. right click mouse in metro and click advance, and you can pin to taskbar
    5. alt-tab works as it did.
    6. win +tab - flips screens

found issues so far:

1. logon banner, we have a logon banner, and it does not work well. its hard to get past it. (while on AD domian - 2k3 native mode)
    2. when an app like IE has a metro mode, and an appmode; search only shows the metromode. so i cant search for IE and click on it to goto the appmode IE.
    3. the contorl panel should be in settings

thats it for now...   more to come....

-nex6 

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:45 PM

All replies

• ok more;

1. UAC does not work as it should. if you winkey +R "gpedit.msc" as a standard user, you get access deined... instead of a UAC dialog.
    2. its possible, via local Policy in combinination with the logon banner, to totally break the logon process. in local policy enable force classic start menu. to break.
    3. the usablity, of bouncing back and forth between metro and desktop is to much.  the workflows should be cleaner, and more custamizable so the user can work
      more cleanly.
    4. it should be possible to boot directy into the desktop, and not metro.

more to come later.....

Thursday, September 15, 2011 5:10 PM
  • gpedit.msc opened just fine for me.

Regards,

Dylan Meeus

0x2B |~ 0x2B Blog : www.it-ca.net/blogdylan
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 5:12 PM
  • be logged on as a normal user, and be joined to a domain.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 5:19 PM
  • i like, Metro but think its really more for a slate or tablet. on a Full normal desktop, using only a Mouse and keyboard, some metro apps paradigms seem to work, but; the whole combining them seems kinda spastic, and forced. what should happen, is you should be given a set of choices on your first logon on how you want your eneviroment setup. like, do you want to goto the desktop first? how do you want your start menu? (metro/old school)

something along thos lines would be a huge win, and for enterprise shops (me), would be a huge win as we could tailor the user settings according to the device and

workflow.

my2cents....

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 4:14 AM
  • How did you get your Windows 8 to join an AD domain? I read that domain funtionality wasn't included in the dev preview, and I certainly can't get mine to join a domain.

• Edited by jricha20 Monday, October 03, 2011 8:16 PM
    Monday, October 03, 2011 8:16 PM