common practise to test website on public domain while other users see a maintenance page RRS feed

• Question

• User2110873642 posted

how should i go about testing my website on a public domain after an update. while other people see a page telling them that it is in maintenance?

i was kinda thinking like i could whitelist ips that i need the domain to acces, while customers cannot.

but i wouldnt know where to redirect them, and how to avoid any code from running while they try accesing the pages.

Thursday, February 14, 2019 1:03 PM

All replies

• User1120430333 posted

i was kinda thinking like i could whitelist ips that i need the domain to acces, while customers cannot.

Best approach...

but i wouldnt know where to redirect them, and how to avoid any code from running while they try accesing the pages.

A lot of unnecessary headache on a  redirect for what? You put a notification bulletin out for a period of time for users to see that the site will be  down for on a date and for how long and simply take the site down.  That's what my bank does with its site.

Thursday, February 14, 2019 1:39 PM
  • User475983607 posted

how should i go about testing my website on a public domain after an update. while other people see a page telling them that it is in maintenance?

Usually a firewall setting where only internal users can access the site.   contact your system admin for assistance.

If you have a hosting provider then you should contact the hosting provider and ask if this is possible.

Thursday, February 14, 2019 2:19 PM