Out Of Browser with Azure Website RRS feed

• Question

• I have a LIghtswitch silverlight Out of Browser application that is hosted in Azure Websites.  Since it is out of browser, is there any advantage of having the "Free" vs "Shared" plan?  The only advantage I can see would be a Custom Domain with the "Shared".  But extra resources would not do anything for the application would it since it is hosted out of browser and install on the users desktop?  Or am I misunderstanding the Out of Browser?

Thanks!

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 2:19 PM

Answers

• Despite the client running "Out of Browser" the website still plays a key part as it is where the Server component of your application is hosted (so the website is receiving and sending data as well as executing any business logic you have defined in the server project).  One problem that you can potentially run into with the "Free" model is the limit on outbound data.  If your application has a lot of users, you can potentially hit the limit of data that is outbound from the server.

David Kidder | Senior SDET | Microsoft | LightSwitch

• Proposed as answer by Dave KidderModerator Friday, November 21, 2014 1:22 PM
    • Marked as answer by Voyagr12 Friday, November 21, 2014 2:02 PM
    Friday, November 21, 2014 1:22 PM

All replies

• Hi Voyagr,

Welcome to Lightswitch forum.

For Out Of Browser support in Lightswitch application, web applications, desktop applications published to the web/Azure, or desktop applications run on the local machine. After each successful publish the application version is incremented. For Desktop applications hosted locally, LightSwitch applications get updates for free from ClickOnce. For Desktop applications hosted on the web, LightSwitch has to use the Out-of-browser functionality built in to Silverlight. Please refer to msdn.microsoft.com/.../dd550721(VS.95).aspx for more information.

In addition, you can also search relevant topic about "Out of Browser in lightswitch", you can get more information about this issue.

Please let me know if there is anything that I can do to help.

Best regards,

Angie

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, November 20, 2014 8:52 AM
  • Hi Angie,

I appreciate the answer but did not really answer my question.  Perhaps I did not state it properly to properly understand what I am asking.

I basically need to know if there is any advantage for the application performance if I go with a "Free" vs "Shared" Azure Website hosting for an out of browser Lightswitch Application?  Yes or No.

Apologies for not properly explaining my question.

Thanks!

• Edited by Voyagr12 Thursday, November 20, 2014 3:08 PM
    Thursday, November 20, 2014 3:08 PM
  • Hi Voyagor,

Thanks for your feedback.

As you mentioned above, setting a custom domain name is only available for the Shared, Basic and Standard modes for Azure Websites. Before switching a website from the Free website mode to the Shared, Basic or Standard mode, you must first remove spending caps in place for your Website subscription. More resources: Configuring a custom domain name for an Azure Website  and  How to Scale Websites.

Best regards,

Angie 

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Edited by Angie Xu Friday, November 21, 2014 9:12 AM
    Friday, November 21, 2014 9:11 AM
  • Despite the client running "Out of Browser" the website still plays a key part as it is where the Server component of your application is hosted (so the website is receiving and sending data as well as executing any business logic you have defined in the server project).  One problem that you can potentially run into with the "Free" model is the limit on outbound data.  If your application has a lot of users, you can potentially hit the limit of data that is outbound from the server.

David Kidder | Senior SDET | Microsoft | LightSwitch

• Proposed as answer by Dave KidderModerator Friday, November 21, 2014 1:22 PM
    • Marked as answer by Voyagr12 Friday, November 21, 2014 2:02 PM
    Friday, November 21, 2014 1:22 PM
  • Dave,

Thank you so very much for answering my question!  Greatly appreciated!  That was what I was looking for and what you say makes sense.  I will need monitor the app for the outbound data limit you pointed out and go from there.

Thank you for your answer!

Friday, November 21, 2014 2:02 PM