Data Model Diagnostics - Fixing a memory leak RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having some issues with a workbook that I've been using for a number of months. The issues started this week, possibly after I deleted a table in my data model that was no longer needed. 

If useful my system has a core i7 and 16GB RAM.

The issue I am seeing can be described as follows:

- The data model pulls data directly via our MySQL database. There are 15 tables in the data model that get updated whenever a single source is refreshed. 

- When I refresh the source it begins retrieving the data for the first table but gets stuck. 

- It task manager I can then see the memory usage steadily increasing to the point where, if I leave it alone, the refresh crashes due to an "out-of-memory error" 

-If however i switch to the workbook (rather than the PowerPivot window) and hit Esc it will finish fix the memory leak, update the first table in the sequence then move onto the next table and the exact same pattern will be repeated for all 15. 

- Even stranger is that if I hit Esc too early it cancels the whole refresh (as expected) but if I leave the refresh of each table until the memory leak hits almost full memory usage it is successful

Does anyone have any suggestions on what this could be and how to resolve it? The data being imported is not huge, the biggest table has about 20,000 rows. 

Thanks. 

Wednesday, July 1, 2015 6:25 PM

Answers

• Hi Maracles,

Is this happening with the 32bit or 64bit version of Power Pivot? Also, when you watch the task manager, how much memory does Excel consumer before crashing? Lastly, do you have many calculated columns in your model and do any of them use the EARLIER function?

Regards,

Michael Amadi

Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to vote it as helpful :)

Thursday, August 13, 2015 9:35 PM

All replies

• Hi Maracles,

Is this happening with the 32bit or 64bit version of Power Pivot? Also, when you watch the task manager, how much memory does Excel consumer before crashing? Lastly, do you have many calculated columns in your model and do any of them use the EARLIER function?

Regards,

Michael Amadi

Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to vote it as helpful :)

Thursday, August 13, 2015 9:35 PM
  • Hi Maracles,

Did you get to the bottom of this?

Regards,

Michael Amadi

Thursday, October 8, 2015 7:59 PM