none
Navigation collapsed by default RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Navigator displaying all levels is too busy.  I work with many very large documents and would like to eliminate the extra step of always collapsing the navigator.  I am aware there is no setting for this.  I would like to know the macro command to collapse the navigation pane.  The macro which worked in Office 2007 no longer works.  Thanks in advance.

Friday, May 25, 2012 1:41 AM

Answers

• Hi Clyfton

Ah, yes,  I (and perhaps MS Support) misunderstood "collapse the Navigation pane" to mean closing it.

As far as I know, there's simply no way to do this other than clicking with the mouse. There's nothing in the Word object model that access the "innards" of any of the task panes. The task pane technology is specifically designed not to allow this.

The only exception I'm aware of is "Styles and Formatting" and there the interface is the Manage Styles dialog box, not the task pane, itself.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP

Saturday, May 26, 2012 7:13 AM

All replies

• Hi Clyfton

Word should be remembering the last Nav Pane setting used when Word was shut down correctly (no crash). However, you can control its visibility using

Application.TaskPanes(wdTaskPaneNav).Visible = False 'True to turn it on

Friday, May 25, 2012 6:04 AM
  • a) It doesn't remember.  That's the first thing I tried.  The folks at microsoft support thought so too.  That's the way it should be but something changed for the worst.

b) The code you provided shows or hides the navigation pane.  That's not my problem.  I need the code to select the level that is displayed (or collapse all). 

Friday, May 25, 2012 10:09 PM
  • Hi Clyfton

Ah, yes,  I (and perhaps MS Support) misunderstood "collapse the Navigation pane" to mean closing it.

As far as I know, there's simply no way to do this other than clicking with the mouse. There's nothing in the Word object model that access the "innards" of any of the task panes. The task pane technology is specifically designed not to allow this.

The only exception I'm aware of is "Styles and Formatting" and there the interface is the Manage Styles dialog box, not the task pane, itself.

Saturday, May 26, 2012 7:13 AM