none
Feature requests RRS feed

• General discussion

• Not sure where is the appropriate place to post a feature request:

1. Number fields display numbers when field width is truncated rather than ###### : some truncated numbers is better than nothing......

2. a Calendar form/report objects: ideally where the day block size is adjustable in size; that can source on a table/query which must have a single date field, and a text/memo field.  In the form object have the day block with scrolling and at least a double click event as day block property (more events welcomed though).

Friday, September 25, 2015 3:15 PM

All replies

• 1. Number fields display numbers when field width is truncated rather than ###### : some truncated numbers is better than nothing......

Just increase size to accommodate maximum size number.

Build a little, test a little

Friday, September 25, 2015 4:11 PM
  • Well, I can grant your wish #1. Go to File>Options>Current Database>Application Options>Check for truncated number fields.

Uncheck it if you prefer to see truncated numbers. Personally, I prefer to see the hash marks so I know the field is too narrow.

Bill Mosca
    www.thatlldoit.com
    http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/MS_Access_Professionals

Friday, September 25, 2015 4:21 PM
  • well much thanks for that Bill - all these years had no idea..... I will definitely make that my default. 

Definitely we would like to see some numbers rather than nothing at all.  Despite testing - one occasionally has a black swan number that blows the width - - particularly in very tight layouts.  And if it is just trailing decimals that get cut off then at least they have some insight until I find the time to widen that field.....

Friday, September 25, 2015 8:20 PM
  • I think that feature of showing hashes came out with 2010, but it might have been 2007. If you turn off that check the numbers will probably show up as scientific notation. Kinda messy if you ask me. Users might be thrown off by that.

The good thing about that item is that it stays the default once you decide how you want it. But you can always change it on a per-database basis.

Bill Mosca
    www.thatlldoit.com

Friday, September 25, 2015 8:30 PM
  • scientific notation? blah....back then to my request...

I find the ##### to be one of the quirks I have to explain - - people understand truncation and it is 'hey the field needs to be wider'.....but they see #### then they say 'the database has an error'..... and they'll say that for scientific notation as well....

sorry to uncheck your answer !!

Friday, September 25, 2015 8:47 PM
  • Hi,

As Bill stated, if we uncheck the "Check for truncated number fields" option, the Access database show the numbers as scientific notation.

If you want to display the numbers, I suggest that you modify the width of the control or field.

Hope it is helpful.

Regards & Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, October 2, 2015 9:13 AM
  • yes I know this.  What I am trying to explain to Microsoft is that it is a totally unhelpful default.  It would be much more user friendly if the default were to display as much of the number as can be displayed.
    Friday, October 2, 2015 12:51 PM
  • So your users are clever enough to understand that 3456 is not actually 3456 but 3456123 yet they can't figure out that ##### is a placeholder indicating the data is wider than what can be displayed?

I find that so counter-intuitive I can't believe you are fighting it. Excel has been using that method for years. More people use Excel than Access so it follows that if  they will see #### they will figure out what that means.

And don't apologize for retracting points from my stats. I don't get paid for them. [grin]

Bill Mosca
    www.thatlldoit.com

Friday, October 2, 2015 4:22 PM
  • I suppose one could code so that if the answer exceeds the amount of space it can unhide a popup that explains the place holder. You could also consider using Control Tips on any control you suspect might cause an issue. Then when the average person hovers their mouse over it, it could say #### means the number is too big to fit, call your db developer to fix it...

Maybe you can also set the Controls setting; Can Grow to Yes?

Just takes a click to give thanks for a helpful post or answer.
    Please vote “Helpful” or Mark as “Answer” as appropriate.
    Chris Ward
    Microsoft Community Contributor 2012

Friday, October 2, 2015 6:11 PM
  • I find it very odd that the request to view the real truncated info partially instead of a default ######## is being received with such resistance/skepticism....to me it is a no brainer in just terms of basic user friendliness - yes we all know the field needs to be wider ultimately.....but in the interim couldn't we at least see some of the numbers?

Friday, October 2, 2015 8:02 PM
  • I find it very odd that the request to view the real truncated info partially instead of a default ######## is being received with such resistance/skepticism....to me it is a no brainer in just terms of basic user friendliness - yes we all know the field needs to be wider ultimately.....but in the interim couldn't we at least see some of the numbers?

Wow! we really don't think alike on this one. I'd rather the user see the hash marks. A user could easily mistake a truncated number for the full value. The only way I'd accept that would be if there was an indicator like "23345... meaning "there's more here".

Bill Mosca
    www.thatlldoit.com

Monday, October 5, 2015 2:48 PM