SSAS Tabular Visual Studio 2012 is very slow to work with RRS feed

• Question

• I have an intel I7 3.4 GHz 8 core, 32 GB Memory and SSD drive on my desktop and working on a SSAS Tabular model project. There are 353 foreign keys and 116 tables in the design.

Trying to create a hierarchy or work on model view is painfully slow (nothing in comparison to working with the model in multidimensional project).

Is there anything I can do to speed this project up?

Thank you

Gokhan Varol

Saturday, August 3, 2013 4:21 PM

All replies

• Hi Gokhan,

Please take a look at the following article about improving Tabular design experience:
    http://prologika.com/CS/blogs/blog/archive/2013/03/14/improving-tabular-design-experience.aspx

Hope this helps.

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here.

Best Regards,

Elvis Long
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, August 5, 2013 1:59 PM
  • I have no data whatsover in the project and it's very slow, it is probably related to the number of relationships etc, I am looking for a workaround if there is any.

Gokhan Varol

Monday, August 5, 2013 7:26 PM
  • I have absolutely 0 data but only metadata in the model, 230 dimension tables and 2 fact tables in the model. Desktop is pretty fast (3.6Ghz intel xeon I7). Adding a single item into an hierarchy takes 60+ seconds. The model.bim file is about 6MB.

I am doing all kind of tricks to edit the model.bim xml file manually to work around this, but it's a real pain.

Gokhan Varol

Friday, August 23, 2013 12:01 AM
  • I have absolutely 0 data but only metadata in the model, 230 dimension tables and 2 fact tables in the model. Desktop is pretty fast (3.6Ghz intel xeon I7). Adding a single item into an hierarchy takes 60+ seconds. The model.bim file is about 6MB.

I am doing all kind of tricks to edit the model.bim xml file manually to work around this, but it's a real pain.

Gokhan Varol

Hi Gokhan,

You still encountered the performance issue when design the Tabular model by using SQL Server Data Tool. I would recommend you submit a feedback to the Microsoft Connect at https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/Feedback.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Elvis Long
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 2:32 AM