Make sure update in Store isn't a reinstall

Question

• Hey everybody,
    I am having the Situation that I had to make a new  Project of the same game in Visual Studio - keeping all files and structures the same (this was related to Unity3d). But this new build also had a new Manifest File with new Values, e.g. "Entry Point" or the "Package Name." My Problem is: when I deployed my App to the device, I had a second Installation of my app instead of updating the old one and now I'm kind of terrified, this will hapen with an update as well, meaning lost savegames for the Players.
    Can anyone tell me, what to do and how to check in advance wether the update is gonna work out or if its gonna reinstall the app?
    Cheers!
    Saturday, March 7, 2015 11:17 AM

Answers

• Make sure the app ID, publisher, etc. are the same in the manifest. That is how the app is identified, so if they are different it is a different app.

If you associate your app with the store it should set these values appropriately.

Saturday, March 7, 2015 3:45 PM
    Owner

All replies

• Make sure the app ID, publisher, etc. are the same in the manifest. That is how the app is identified, so if they are different it is a different app.

If you associate your app with the store it should set these values appropriately.

Saturday, March 7, 2015 3:45 PM
    Owner
  • For anyone reading this, it's the following values (taken from the association process):

Package Display Name
    Package Name
    Publisher ID
    Publisher Display Name
    Version

Thank you, Rob!

Saturday, March 7, 2015 5:29 PM
  • Thanks again. One more question: I did associate the app with the store. Having the original app (from the store) installed on the machine and starting a debug session of the new Version from Visual Studio results in the message, that "The app [...] is already installed on this machine. If you continue with the current deployment the existing app will be uninstalled and the app's current state will be deleted."

Is this only due to some interference of store vs. debug app or actually the behaviour I am trying to avoid?

Thanks again!

Thursday, March 12, 2015 4:14 PM