none
Tags in Enhanced Rich text or Rich text is disappearing in Plain Text RRS feed

• Question

• Hi I have facing an issue with Rich text field in share point.

I have Two columns (Enhanced Rich Text and Rich text in my list).

I have entered a text like ( if date > days or size < 20 contact user ).

If I change the enhanced rich text to plain text The result is like( ​if date  days or size  20 contact user)

Is it bug in product or default behavior :o ?

Regards

Koti

Wednesday, April 8, 2015 7:16 PM

Answers

• Hi Koti,

When you change the enhanced rich text to plain text, it seems to remove “<” and “>” instead of “<div>”.

Thus, I would suggest you submit a feedback to the Office Developer Platform if there any expectation about more official documentation of SharePoint:

http://officespdev.uservoice.com/

It is a place for customers provide feedback about Microsoft Office products. What’s more, if a feedback is high voted there by other customers, it will be promising that Microsoft Product Team will take it into consideration when designing the next version in the future.

Best Regards,

Dean Wang

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 21, 2015 2:26 AM

All replies

• Hello Koti,

This is a default behavior and SharePoint treating > and < as html tags. That is why when you change field from Enhanced Rich text to plain text you will see below message in popoup.

"Changing the input to Plain Text will remove tables, links, images, fonts, colors, and formatting for this column."

My Blog- http://www.sharepoint-journey.com|
    If a post answers your question, please click Mark As Answer on that post and Vote as Helpful

Thursday, April 9, 2015 9:09 AM
  • Hi ,

It is a default behaviour, I hope u have seen some warning message while changing the type from "Enhanced Text" to "plain text" like "Changing the input to Plain Text will remove tables, links, images, fonts, colors, and formatting for this column."

Don't forget to mark it as an Answer if it resolves your issue and Vote Me as helpful if it useful.

Mahesh

Thursday, April 9, 2015 9:20 AM
  • Hi Koti,

Plain text has only the text of the document, without any formatting. "Rich text" also includes information about the document formatting, such as font, size, bold, italics, margins and so-on.

Here is an article:

http://www.codeproject.com/Questions/190989/Difference-between-textbox-and-richtextbox

Best Regards,

Dean Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 13, 2015 8:49 AM
  • Hi I agree with all.

But In enhanced Rich Text I have not given any Html tags like <html>, <div>,<br>

And also while changing to plain text it shoes error msg that images,Hyperlinks,Tables will be removed. But here it removed two special characters(ANSII).

Just I given (a word > and another word <) how can this consider as html Tag. 

I tested same like giving Heml tags In that case also It failed .

E.g I gave <div>, <br>

The result is just div, br it removed just <> .If I am not wrong It should remove <div>, <br> .

Can any one please let me know why this happen.

Thanks

Koti

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 3:50 AM
  • Hi Koti,

When you change the enhanced rich text to plain text, it seems to remove “<” and “>” instead of “<div>”.

Thus, I would suggest you submit a feedback to the Office Developer Platform if there any expectation about more official documentation of SharePoint:

http://officespdev.uservoice.com/

It is a place for customers provide feedback about Microsoft Office products. What’s more, if a feedback is high voted there by other customers, it will be promising that Microsoft Product Team will take it into consideration when designing the next version in the future.

Best Regards,

Dean Wang

Tuesday, April 21, 2015 2:26 AM