none
VS2010 .net 4.0 Reportviewer control cannot display child data in object hierarchy RRS feed

• Question

• In the .net 3.5 version of the reportviewer control, an object data source could be specified and data elements in the object hierarchy referenced with syntax like =Fields!ParentProperty.Value.ChildProperty, but after conversion to VS2010 and the .net 4.0 Reportviewer, these data elements do not display.

Do I need to go back to VS2008 to get my object data sources to display? ... Help! 

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 3:01 AM

All replies

• I too seem to be having this issue with the 2010 version.  In my case I have a subreport that runs off of a child property of my main data source.  I pass the ID of the child to the subreport via a parameter that evaluates using an expression like the following:

=Fields!Property.Value.Id

The problem is that Fields!Property.Value just reports "#Error" now and I have no idea why.  The object is there as I can see it in my data source in code before the report renders.

In the 2008 version, this works fine.

Any help would be appreciated!

Mike

Mike Buonaccorsi
    Thursday, April 22, 2010 8:41 PM
  • Mike,

If I find a fix, I'll post it here.  Please do the same for me.  In the meantime, I've had to backtrack to VS2008 because of issues with the reportviewer.

-BGood

Friday, April 23, 2010 4:05 PM
  • Mike,

If I find a fix, I'll post it here.  Please do the same for me.  In the meantime, I've had to backtrack to VS2008 because of issues with the reportviewer.

-BGood

I have so far been unable to figure this out.  I have submitted a bug on the Microsoft Connect site for Visual Studio 2010.  If anyone has additional information, samples or comments to add to this issue, please do so here:

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/553592/accessing-nested-objects-in-data-source-of-local-report-does-not-function

Mike Buonaccorsi
    Friday, April 23, 2010 7:37 PM
  • Mike,

Just to let you know, I filed a support incident to try to priortize a fix to this problem.  I'll keep you posted on the progress.

-BGood

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 6:35 PM
  • Mike & others,

I am trying to implement Matt Kleinwaks (kleinma) work-around.  Please refer to the msConnect bug comments or my posting in Visual Basic Language (VS2010 VB: Flattening an object hierarchy using a shim class? Initializing derived object properties from the base object) at the following url:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vblanguage/thread/a22b420a-2073-46ab-bd17-122c0910afbe

-BGood

Saturday, July 10, 2010 7:05 PM
  • Mike & Others,

I started this thread back in April and filed a support incident to try to priortize a fix to this problem back in June.  In conjunction with my postings, I promised to keep others posted on the progress.

The results of the support incident I filed were very disappointing.  Although I cannot share the specifics of my situation,  I made the business decision to implement klienma's work-around.  Although this work-around added additional layers of complexity to my data structure, and noticeable delay and memory overhead to my application, it enabled me to use other features of VS2010 which were not available in VS2008.  This solution worked for me because I had very limited reliance on higher-order object relationships in my reports.  For applications with deeply-nested objects, this approach would probably be far less appealing.

My hopes that the Reportviewer Product Team would acknowledge and resolve this bug expeditiously have dwindled since it is going on six months since the problem was first reported.  This delay has cost me dearly in timing the release of my own software.

-BGood

Friday, August 27, 2010 6:05 PM