Should I consider PubCenter? RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi Everyone!

I have a paid WP7.1 app and am looking to increase revenue and exposure by releasing a free ad based version.

My first instinct was to use PubCenter as it is from Microsoft and looks dead simple to implement, however, after reading some of the posts, I am believe this may not be the best choice.

Does anyone have any suggestions/recommendations on how I should proceed?

Thanks for the advice,

Ant

Sunday, March 16, 2014 4:16 PM

All replies

• Pubcenter is dead - you'd be wasting your time trying to implement it. The simple fact is the Microsoft is not an advertising company, so the number of adverts are few and far between. Fill rates rarely get above 20% and the recently implemented geo-relative logic has only made matters worse.

Your best bet is to upgrade to Windows Phone 8 (from my stats, there are not many WP7s left out there) and implement Google Admob instead - they provide an SDK.

Alternatively - or if this is not an option - try adding a free trial version of your app with limited functionality - I think it's Guide.IsTrialVersion allows you to do this very easily. I warn you now, conversion rates from trial to paid are not that great: only about 1-2% of trial downloads convert to paid - but this is still better than the return on pubcenter.

It's not the great who are strong - it's the strong who are great! www.ledaentertainment.com

Sunday, March 16, 2014 5:53 PM
  • Thanks for the quick reply Ben, I appreciate it :)

Makes sense that Microsoft is having difficulties selling ads.

I am currently implementing a trial in my app.  Thankfully conversion rates are around 30%, however, my app is a niche app.

I am pushing off upgrading to WP8 as long as possible, as it will add time to maintenance, testing and deployment, albeit a small amount. I tried tinkering around with reflection to get AdMob to work in wp7 but was unsuccessful. 

After some discussion, it looks like we are going to start by using just adduplex with some limits on functionality to increase visibility and get an understanding of how many more users will we obtain.  If it make sense, at that point we can upgrade to WP8 and maintain both versions.

Aside from PubCenter and Admob, have you worked with any other ad providers?

Thanks,

Ant

Sunday, March 16, 2014 8:15 PM
  • What about vserv? They keep emailing me asking me to try them out. Has anybody had any experien with them?
    Monday, March 17, 2014 8:47 AM
  • The problem with vserv is that  it is not very stable especially if your app has various page navigations or pivot controls (ad control on every pivot). It leaks memory (version 1.0.8.0) and eventually crashes. Another problem is that most of the ads services they serve are click based and not just impression based. Which means you won't get paid unless someone clicks on the ad. Just sharing my experience.
    Monday, March 17, 2014 6:02 PM
  • The problem with vserv is that  it is not very stable especially if your app has various page navigations or pivot controls (ad control on every pivot). It leaks memory (version 1.0.8.0) and eventually crashes. Another problem is that most of the ads services they serve are click based and not just impression based. Which means you won't get paid unless someone clicks on the ad. Just sharing my experience.

That's interesting. When I questioned them about PPC vs PPI this is what they responded to me with...

My first question is with regards to ECPM's. How favorably do you compete with say, AdMob or Mobclix or PubCenter?

Very favorably and you can see some of the names we work with in the attached PDF and read our success stories : http://blog.vserv.mobi/category/developer-of-the-week/

Secondly, is your network strictly pay per click or do you also have pay per impression as an option?
    A mix of Click, Impression and install.

So make of that what you will. I don't know if they are being disingenuous. 

Monday, March 17, 2014 8:08 PM
  • Yes they do serve ads which generates revenue based on impressions too. But what I was told by Vserv folks is that most of their ads are click based. In other words if I ask them to limit my ad to impression based revenue then there will very limited ads available and only in few parts of the world. 

Monday, March 17, 2014 10:02 PM