none
[MS-OXCMSG] PidTagMessageFlags value 0x400 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

During one of our test runs against an Exchange 2010 SP0 server, we are seeing an unexpected flag value in the PR_MESSAGE_FLAGS (PidTagMessageFlags) field of 0x400.

I don't see that field in MS-OXCMSG v20100729 Section 2.2.1.6

The test is pretty simple (look for mapitest_oxcmsg_SetReadFlags() in http://websvn.openchange.org/filedetails.php?repname=OpenChange&path=%2Ftrunk%2Futils%2Fmapitest%2Fmodules%2Fmodule_oxcmsg.c) - it creates some test files, sets up a QueryRows call for the message ID and flags, and then checks that they're initially zero. That passes on Exchange 2007 (including any Service Packs as far as we are aware) but fails on Exchange 2010. [There are some more elements to the test, but we're flunking the initial value test on Exchange 2010, so we never get there].

I can provide a packet capture, but the traffic is encrypted, so I'm not sure this will help.

Question: What does the 0x0400 flag mean in a PidTagMessageFlags response?

Brad

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 12:19 AM

Answers

• Hi Brad,

Just to confirm, we'll be adding the following description to MS-OXCMSG for the 0x400 flag:

mfEverRead  0x00000400  The message has been read at least once. This flag is set or cleared by the server whenever the mfRead flag is set or cleared.

Also, we'll add a behaviour note about the fact that Outlook ignores this bit.

Best regards,
    Tom Jebo
    Escalation Engineer
    Microsoft Open Specifications

• Marked as answer by Chris Mullaney Thursday, September 16, 2010 10:52 PM
    Thursday, September 9, 2010 7:13 PM

All replies

• Brad,

Thank you for your question. Someone from our team will follow-up with you in regards to your inquiry.

Dominic Salemno
    Escalation Engineer
    US-CSS DSC Protocols Team

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 2:36 PM
  • Hi Brad,

I'm looking into this for you.  I've verified that 0x400 is not doc'ed in the specs.  I'll get back to you shortly.

Best regards,
    Tom Jebo
    Escalation Engineer

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 4:37 PM
  • Thanks for your patience Brad. 

The flag in question is only defined on the Exchange side and basically parallels the flag MSGFLAG_READ.  Outlook does not use this at all. 

I hope this helps you.

Best regards,
    Tom Jebo
    Escalation Engineer

Friday, August 27, 2010 2:30 AM
  • Tom,

Thanks for this info, but that isn't what I'm seeing [Edit - in regard to the 0x400 flag matching the MSGFLAG_READ]. I'm seeing only the 0x400 bit set. I'll kick my test server back into non-encrypted mode and try to get you a packet capture.

Brad

• Edited by Brad Hards Tuesday, August 31, 2010 11:42 PM
    Tuesday, August 31, 2010 1:53 AM
  • Hey Brad,

I'll look for the capture and we can talk offline in email. 

Best regards,
    Tom Jebo
    Escalation Engineer

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 1:56 PM
  • Hi Brad,

Just to confirm, we'll be adding the following description to MS-OXCMSG for the 0x400 flag:

mfEverRead  0x00000400  The message has been read at least once. This flag is set or cleared by the server whenever the mfRead flag is set or cleared.

Also, we'll add a behaviour note about the fact that Outlook ignores this bit.

Best regards,
    Tom Jebo
    Escalation Engineer

• Marked as answer by Chris Mullaney Thursday, September 16, 2010 10:52 PM
    Thursday, September 9, 2010 7:13 PM