Error Installing VS2010 SP1 RRS feed

• Question

• Environment: Windows 7 x64 with all updates, VS2010 Premium (had Windows Phone 7 developer tools, with some power tools from MS)

I run the installation as an administrator, after a few minutes i get the message.

"Microsoft Visual studio 2010 express for windows phone, the feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavaiable... the file location is D:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Express for Windows Phone  - ENU\ and the file its looking for is vs_setup.msi.

I then uninstalled the WP7 phone developer tools and ran it again - same problem. I searched for the file in question and that doesnt exist. I then decided to download the Phone developer tools again in case the file required was in there but no, it wasnt.

Also all network drives are connected and nothing is removed/changed during installation.

Could anyone assist please?

Thank

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 10:26 AM

Answers

• Finally have this resolved. I deleted 0BC19BFC9D71BE44FB2B3570BAE7D7CD, found at (of course made a backup first)

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Products\0BC19BFC9D71BE44FB2B3570BAE7D7CD].

Tried rerunning SP1 and everything worked. Only setback after this was when i installed the WP7 tools again i had to reapply SP1 again (otherwise it wouldnt allow me to use VS 2010)

One other issue i ran across was help would not locate any contents that i have offline when i pressed F1. I overcame this after opening up Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Documentation manually and following that VS 2010 seems to be running (touch wood).

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 3:48 PM
  • The source when prompted for, was available but the file in question was not there. I even re-downloaded the MSI/WP7 iso again and it would not accept it (after extraction).

I agree deleting the product registration would not update the product with SP1 and wont work this is why i wrote "Only setback after this was when i installed the WP7 tools again i had to reapply SP1 again (otherwise it wouldnt allow me to use VS 2010)" :-)

• Marked as answer by Andrew.Wu Saturday, March 26, 2011 4:59 AM
    Friday, March 18, 2011 9:21 PM

All replies

• Finally have this resolved. I deleted 0BC19BFC9D71BE44FB2B3570BAE7D7CD, found at (of course made a backup first)

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Products\0BC19BFC9D71BE44FB2B3570BAE7D7CD].

Tried rerunning SP1 and everything worked. Only setback after this was when i installed the WP7 tools again i had to reapply SP1 again (otherwise it wouldnt allow me to use VS 2010)

One other issue i ran across was help would not locate any contents that i have offline when i pressed F1. I overcame this after opening up Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Documentation manually and following that VS 2010 seems to be running (touch wood).

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 3:48 PM
  • Deleting the product registration means that SP1 will not update that product and it may not work.

When prompted for source, the MSI will be in the original download. In the case of our Express SKUs, you have to extract the MSI from a self-extracting executable. Please see section 2.2.5 in the VS2010 SP1 read me at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=208963.

I hope this helps.

Visual Studio Professional Deployment Experience Team http://blogs.msdn.com/heaths
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 8:40 PM
  • The source when prompted for, was available but the file in question was not there. I even re-downloaded the MSI/WP7 iso again and it would not accept it (after extraction).

I agree deleting the product registration would not update the product with SP1 and wont work this is why i wrote "Only setback after this was when i installed the WP7 tools again i had to reapply SP1 again (otherwise it wouldnt allow me to use VS 2010)" :-)

• Marked as answer by Andrew.Wu Saturday, March 26, 2011 4:59 AM
    Friday, March 18, 2011 9:21 PM
  • No. But the problem was resolved performing the actions i stated above
    Saturday, March 19, 2011 8:51 AM