Extrude points with icon vs Polygon RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Is it possible to extrude points with an icon? 

I have been trying to create a 2.5 type geospatial 'bar chart' depicting some certain statistics converted to a height value. I do not have a polygon representation of the area, only a point location.
     I have been trying to hack this by using a point feature of subtype circle in a PolygonExtrusionLayer and adding a sprite as the fill pattern. This is not ideal since the circle changes sizes depending on the zoom level, field of view,  and sprite is a pattern that is repeated and not a single constant image.
    Specifically I have point location data with the number of new Corona cases normalized to 100K population. I add a height value (dynamically calculated based on a threshold value) and was hoping to be able to see the relationship of new cases amongst  different locations visually when tilting the map.

Ideally I would like to have an icon float at the height value with a line down to the map. For different sets of data I would have different icons (deaths, new cases, recovered, etc.). Is this possible?

Thanks,

Marty

• Edited by Marty_D Wednesday, May 20, 2020 4:22 PM
    Wednesday, May 20, 2020 4:20 PM

Answers

All replies

• Using an icon won't work well. I've created a bar chart type experience which we are putting for project using the PolygonExtrusionLayer and recalculating on zoom end event. You can see a demo here: https://rbrundritt.azurewebsites.net/demos/azuremaps/barchart/ (select the options to scale on zoom).
    • Proposed as answer by Ricky_Brundritt Wednesday, May 20, 2020 6:24 PM
    • Marked as answer by Marty_D Wednesday, May 20, 2020 8:56 PM
    Wednesday, May 20, 2020 6:24 PM
  • Thanks, that is spot on.

I was hoping to have an icon above the bar indicating what data source had been selected, but I can try to use colors to differentiate between the sources. 

The 'scale thickness on zoom' is a nice touch to keep the extruded polygons visible as one zooms out.

Marty

Wednesday, May 20, 2020 9:03 PM
  • There isn't a good option for placing text above an extruded polygon yet. It map be possible to make use of the translate properties relative to the viewport, but that will likely take a lot of work to get right. 
    Thursday, May 21, 2020 5:26 PM