none
PS 2007 - Event Handler is not working. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have added a server event handler on CubeBuilt with all proper and valid information. When I build a new cube to fire this event and check the o/p I get following errors in Cube Build Tracking and it doesnt fire:

===== Verifying and running post-build server event handler =====

[1/5/2011 10:00 AM] Verifying and running post-build server event handler

[1/5/2011 10:01 AM] The OLAP post-build server event handler failed

===== Processing OLAP database =====

[1/5/2011 10:01 AM] Process OLAP database session started

[1/5/2011 10:01 AM] Analysis Services session started

[1/5/2011 10:03 AM] Analysis Services session completed successfully

===== Verifying and running post-process server event handler =====

[1/5/2011 10:03 AM] Verifying and running post-process server event handler

[1/5/2011 10:03 AM] The OLAP post-process server event handler failed

===== Process Completed =====

[1/5/2011 10:03 AM] Cube build request completed successfully.

Logs:
    01/05/2011 10:00:42.08  Microsoft.Office.Project.Server (0x0BE4) 0x0BB8 Project Server                 Project Server Analysis Cube Bu 8swo Medium   PWA:http://mytest/PWA, SSP:SharedServices_ORG, User:DOMAIN\102345, PSI:   [CBS] Status message: The OLAP post-build server event handler failed d72e1b52-af48-455b-bb5e-304c2a6b350f

01/05/2011 10:02:44.64  Microsoft.Office.Project.Server (0x0BE4) 0x0BB8 Project Server                 Project Server Analysis Cube Bu 8swo Medium   PWA:http://mytest/PWA, SSP:SharedServices_ORG, User:DOMAIN\102345, PSI:   [CBS] Status message: The OLAP post-process server event handler failed d72e1b52-af48-455b-bb5e-304c2a6b350f

Can you please help me out to rectify this issue.

Many thanks.

Mohsin Raza
    Wednesday, January 5, 2011 8:11 AM

All replies

• are you able to run it in a debug mode ?

Your code must be throwing exception at some level which is causing this failure.

set the debug environment, build the cube and see at which point its throwing exception.

btw, how did you managed to update the event handler?

| Khurram Jamshed | Follow my blog about Enterprise Project Management Solution | http://khurramjamshed.blogspot.com |
    Wednesday, January 5, 2011 10:38 AM
  • Update event handler issue wasn't fixed on my machine, it's still there :( That's why I am unable to run in debug mode.

Secondly, i deployed that assembly on my PS07 virtual machine, but if it's throwing exception then Application Event should resgister. But their is no application event.

Mohsin Raza
    Thursday, January 6, 2011 4:54 AM
  • Hi Mohsin. Maybe the cube service is trapping the errors and writing its own error log as you show above in the cube tracking log so nothing gets written in the application event log.

The tracking log tells you only that it failed. So You could add some tracing to your event handler. Have it write to the application log using a source you specify so you can find the events it writes and see where it is failing. However as Kurram says you need to run in debug mode to be able to find the error in a fast manner and not this 'printf' sort of debugging.

If by update event handler issue not fixed, means you have  different versions of code and thus can't attach to the process to debug then you cannot even update your event handler. Need to fix that or forever be stuck with what you got and that ain't working. Priority is to fix that issue I think...

Ray

Ray Letts Arbutus Solutions
    Thursday, January 6, 2011 5:15 PM
  • Mohsin, you will not be able to see the error in your application event log - try maintain the log file from the code to see at which point your code has terminated. And make sure that when ever you update your dll follow all the steps of deploying an event handler - else your change code wont work.

not sure whey you are not unable to update the event handler on PWA, wish i could able to help - but the only way to find out if the modified event is working is to run it in the debug mode.

good luck.

| Khurram Jamshed | Follow my blog about Enterprise Project Management Solution | http://khurramjamshed.blogspot.com |
    Saturday, January 8, 2011 6:11 AM
  • Dear Khurram & Ray,

Log is maintaining for the custom code as well as the USL but code log will work once event fires. My steps are"

1. Generate DLL in debug mode
    2. Usign gacutil register assembly
    3. Add event handler on CubeBuilt with proper information
    4. Restart IIS
    5. Start Cube building
    6. But get error that i mentioned above in yellow highlight.

Regarding debugging, when i attached the application with PS Event service and put breakpoint, it doenst work and show hollow red circle with yellow exclamation mark and I am unable to resolve that. Well, i do all steps for attaching process with the application and load symbols. After all this debugging doesnt start when I run cube building process.

Ray, what do you mean by diff version of code? As I code was written in VS2005 and im using the same.

This is the whole story of my sad scene.

Mohsin Raza
    Sunday, January 9, 2011 7:33 AM
  • Mohsin you should be able to attach to the process and do a step by step of you custom code, if not then it will be very hard to debug... Are you running your custom code, Project Server and Visual Studio all in one dev server?
    Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Wednesday, January 12, 2011 5:44 AM