You have ruined Bing Maps with Birds Eye Changes RRS feed

• Question

• Why? For most people Google Maps is the go to resource for online mapping. For an educated few Birds Eye view on Bing was a far better resource. You could rotate the image and often see different times of the year thus getting round foliage problems. Now when you right click and ask for Birds Eye views all you get is a basic street map. We are warned that some areas might not have images but previously superb images have been lost as have metropolitan areas such as London (big city in England - the Queen lives there). I have yet to find anywhere where birds eye works in the UK.

If you are hoping to drive the last nail in Bing's coffin you have succeeded. We no longer bother with Bing and only use Google Earth.

Tuesday, November 7, 2017 12:24 PM

Answers

• I'm in the office today and managed to reproduce the issue when I change my country/region settings on Bing to the UK. Looks like it may be a regional issue. I have passed this on to the website team so they can fix this. 

[Blog] [twitter] [LinkedIn]

Thursday, November 9, 2017 6:00 PM
  • This is now resolved. This issue was limited to those who had their region settings in Bing set to the UK. The Bing Maps controls does some unique things for this region, like exposing Ordnance Survey maps. 

Friday, November 10, 2017 11:34 PM
  • There is a very large number of users on bing maps. The reason why this issue wasn't raised more is that this was limited to bing maps website users in the UK. In the UK Birdseye imagery is not that commonly used as majority of users use the ordnance survey map layer instead. Note that these forums are for the bing maps APIs not the website, there is a separate set of forums for Microsoft consumer products which had a few more posts. That said, the bulk of the people who complain either use the bing listens user voice site or the feedback button on the bing maps feedback button.

Friday, November 17, 2017 3:15 PM

All replies

• I couldn't agree more. Why remove imagery just because some of it may be out of date? Better out of date than not at all. The vast majority of built up areas are historic in nature and will be subject to little change in any case. Much of the 2D aerial imagery is also out of date and behind Google, yet that still remains.

Birds eye views were a unique resource which are now lost. They also provide a snapshot in time. Google Earth retains legacy aerial views to build up a picture over time, so why not do the same with Birds Eye Views and then supplement them with newer imagery as it becomes available? 

This is a very short sighted and wrong move and I would urge those that made this decision to think again and reinstate the birds eye imagery. 

Tuesday, November 7, 2017 4:46 PM
  • All the same imagery that was in Europe before plus a lot of new imagery was added and are in v8. I suspect there is an error, limited to the bing maps website, if you are being taken into road view. Trying the API, which these forums are for, all is working good. I will ask the website team to look into this when I get back into the office at the end of the week.

Tuesday, November 7, 2017 6:53 PM
  • I'm glad this is a glitch and not permanent. As Henry states, the whole of the UK seems to be affected. In fact I've just tried random large cities around the world including New York, Paris and Sydney and none of these work and only show the road view. I'm using Windows 10 and Chrome, although I've also tried IE and Edge which don't work either. 

There is also another thread about the issue here:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/508a6546-f504-47c2-808e-cda8cdfecca6/birds-eye-view-doesnt-open-when-i-rightclick-the-map?forum=bingmaps

Thursday, November 9, 2017 12:15 PM
  • I'm in the office today and managed to reproduce the issue when I change my country/region settings on Bing to the UK. Looks like it may be a regional issue. I have passed this on to the website team so they can fix this. 

Thursday, November 9, 2017 6:00 PM
  • This is now resolved. This issue was limited to those who had their region settings in Bing set to the UK. The Bing Maps controls does some unique things for this region, like exposing Ordnance Survey maps. 

Friday, November 10, 2017 11:34 PM
  • Not sure if this thread UK based. The same issue exists in the US.
    Monday, November 13, 2017 4:18 PM
  • The issue was limited to users based in the UK, but occurred everywhere they looked on the map. Note, that if the birdseye option is greyed out, that means imagery isn't available for that area.

Monday, November 13, 2017 5:44 PM
  • Thank you and I'm glad the issue is resolved, at least for UK users. 

I have noticed however that the birds eye display can now be a bit temperemental. Where previously it would smoothly zoom and display large areas, it now takes a bit of effort to even get it to display at all in some locations. For example try looking at Chipstead, UK. 

Overall, I'm pleased to see it back though! 

Tuesday, November 14, 2017 10:19 AM
  • The issue is indeed now resolved. Having not received an email alert to the fact my post had been replied to I only discovered this when I Googled "you have ruined Bing maps" to see if I could find my post / find out if anyone had posted a reply.

What this does highlights how few people must be using Bing Maps. The change has been in force for a number of weeks and I'm the first person who has raised the issue. Even minor Apps I use get scores of feedback posts the minute something goes wrong. Bing can survive weeks before a question is raised.

Friday, November 17, 2017 9:38 AM
  • There is a very large number of users on bing maps. The reason why this issue wasn't raised more is that this was limited to bing maps website users in the UK. In the UK Birdseye imagery is not that commonly used as majority of users use the ordnance survey map layer instead. Note that these forums are for the bing maps APIs not the website, there is a separate set of forums for Microsoft consumer products which had a few more posts. That said, the bulk of the people who complain either use the bing listens user voice site or the feedback button on the bing maps feedback button.

Friday, November 17, 2017 3:15 PM
  • Agreed...Bing Maps is dead because of the loss of Birds Eye view. It used to be great. This is not a UK issue. I can find nothing that shows Birds Eye anymore.
    Saturday, November 18, 2017 1:30 PM
  • There is more birdsye in Europe than there was before. We ported over the old imagery there and added a bunch of new imagery. In the US there was a lot of really old imagery that was never viewed or only viewed by a handful of people over the last 10 years. A lot of the rural birdeye imagery was removed. But tons of new imagery was released in other areas. We are also working on capturing a lot of new imagery as well. I can't share all the details as to why the change occured but can say that this change has put us on a better course where we can grow our coverage, increase the resolution and increase the freshness of the imagery.

Sunday, November 19, 2017 5:03 AM