Customize (full rebranding) without sharepoint designer RRS feed

• Question

• Hey all, I work for an organisation that allows sharepoint site provisioning to various group/departments. I have been asked to create a website using sharepoint to represent one of our larger departments and they have identified the need to have a fully customised "stand out" site.

After researching sharepoint design strategies on the internet it seems the only realistic way to do this is to edit the sites masterpage so we can use our own CSS/Javascript for navigation and overall site layout.

Unfortunately it is part of the org's policy to deny access to SP designer (basically to save users from themselves and making the site unusable). This seems to be a blocker to editing the masterpage, but surely there must be some way around this?

Can anyone advise either a work around to editing the masterpage without SP designer or another solution to achieve full customisation?

Thanks

Monday, May 2, 2011 9:11 AM

Answers

• If I am understanding your statements, the ability to change the master page from the browser is only available on publishing sites.  It is under the Look and Feel heading.  If you turn on Publishing Infrastructure under Site Collection Features you will have the option of specifying the master page to use.

hope this helps

Ed

• Marked as answer by Peng Lei Monday, May 9, 2011 4:50 AM
    Monday, May 2, 2011 8:07 PM
  • If you setup your masterpage/css into a feature then you could set it via a feature receiver. And the account that you are installing the feature (.wsp) with would be used to activate the feature via stsadm. (command line) So you would not need to switch it over via the gui your feature reciever would handle that once you activate.

-tom daly

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, May 5, 2011 7:11 AM SP 2010 reference removed.
    Thursday, May 5, 2011 2:05 AM

All replies

• You need to create your Master Pages and Page Layouts on a dev farm, turn them into solution packages using tools like WSP Builder or STSDev found on CodePlex, and deploy that solution package onto your production farm. 

Here are a couple of blogs on the subject:

http://www.sharepointnutsandbolts.com/2007/04/deploying-master-pages-and-page-layouts.html

http://sharepointmagazine.net/articles/deploying-the-master-page

Good luck!

Mark

Monday, May 2, 2011 12:50 PM
  • Feature or WSP is the best option.Else you can create your own custom master page from an existing one and add style class inside the master page itself.Then From the masrer page gallery you can upload the same and set this as your default master
    Destin -MCPD: SharePoint Developer 2010, MCTS:SharePoint 2007 Application Development
    Monday, May 2, 2011 2:51 PM
  • Hey guys, thanks for the speedy reply but the problem may be deeper rooted than this. Editing the masterpage is one thing, we are actually not allowed to set the masterpage (I am listed as having full control and design rights but i only see master pages under the galleries section, and when i right-click on .master files in the gallery there is no option to set the master).

It seems to me that this has been disabled higher up in the site settings, and as I have no view of this im really not sure on the possible solutions. Surely it must be possible to allow sub sites to change their master without having SP designer enabled? Maybe it's even possible to enable specific sites to change their masterpage?

Again thanks for the help so far :-)

Monday, May 2, 2011 3:29 PM
  • If I am understanding your statements, the ability to change the master page from the browser is only available on publishing sites.  It is under the Look and Feel heading.  If you turn on Publishing Infrastructure under Site Collection Features you will have the option of specifying the master page to use.

hope this helps

Ed

Monday, May 2, 2011 8:07 PM
  • Hey Ed, thanks for that you have definitely pointed me in the right direction. Unfortunately I am not at the top level of this chain so I only have the option to turn on publishing (which I cant do until the publishing infrastructure is enabled, as you point out). I think I need to get this enabled further up the chain, out of interest do any of you know if it is possible to start a separate site collection with this enabled and have another site collection all together for those with it disabled?

I ask as if my org say they cant turn on publishing for everyone then surely they could set aside a separate site collection for sites that are properly maintained and can be trusted with the publishing feature enabled

Thanks again guys!

Wednesday, May 4, 2011 11:57 AM
  • If you setup your masterpage/css into a feature then you could set it via a feature receiver. And the account that you are installing the feature (.wsp) with would be used to activate the feature via stsadm. (command line) So you would not need to switch it over via the gui your feature reciever would handle that once you activate.

-tom daly

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, May 5, 2011 7:11 AM SP 2010 reference removed.
    Thursday, May 5, 2011 2:05 AM