none
Moving users VHDX file to another location RRS feed

• Question

• We need to move the files to another server location. We thought we could just recreate a new root share and copy the whole profile folder which includes the O365 and profile VHDX files, re-point the Group policy to the new location and it would retain the profile settings. When we tested a user , it did use the new location but nothing was saved from the old profile. Is there a supported method of migrating the VHDX files to a new location?

Thanks

Tuesday, November 5, 2019 9:57 PM

All replies

• You can migrate your profiles using the Cloud Cache policy setting.  There should be supporting documentation for migrating with Cloud Cache.
    Friday, November 8, 2019 6:07 PM
  • How did you perform the copy? If it was copy/paste or drag and drop that won't work because the permissions won't be retained.

I went through a similar migration recently and found that the permissions and ACLs must be retained otherwise the profiles won't load. Using Robocopy with the switches to transfer security information worked for us.

Saturday, November 9, 2019 11:26 PM
  • Yeah, Robocopy with the /SEC switch should correct that if you're using the recommended permissions on the share. Another option would be bvckup2, which I myself am going to be exploring since it's block-level and can copy files currently in use.
    Monday, November 11, 2019 7:00 PM
  • I agree with the others.   This smells of permissions.   I am in the middle of a migration of Windows 10 1709 VDIs to 1903 machines, and am copying the files over.   When I tested it nothing worked properly, until I realised it was just permissions that need to be set.

It's easy to be mislead because the user account probably has Read access to the copied VHD.  So it initially attaches OK but then can't right anything, causing all sorts of grief.

Tuesday, November 12, 2019 4:48 PM