none
Replacing File > New in Backstage RRS feed

• Question

• We're trying to decide how best to roll out our document automation in Word 2010 whilst integrating it with the look and feel of Office 2010

One option is to replace the File > New tab in Word with one of our own.  I've seen hints that this can be done but can't find any more in depth resources...

What we would want to do is create a version of the File > New tab has buttons much like the current (with Office.com disabled) that call a Delphi application that sets up the required documents.  For example a letter button might ask for the recipient from the company database and the author and the type of letter, before returning a filled in document.

I can do the latter, but my experiments with calling the Delphi application from a limited number of "base" templates seems to be a non-starter.

Where can I get good information about customising backstage (and for that matter why do none of the texts cover this!)

Dan

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 11:22 AM

Answers

• Using Backstage you can hide the default File > New with the line

<tab idMso="TabNew" visible="false">

then create a new custom tab with the Label "New"

<tab id="NewNew" label="New" insertAfterMso="TabNew">

Trouble is I can't find much in the way of resource that describes how to replicate the existing File > New with our own commands...
    Tuesday, March 1, 2011 10:52 AM

All replies

• Hi dankell

As far as I know, it’s impossible the replacing File>New. I’m surprised by what you said. Would you please show more details about it?

Friendly Regards,

Auguest

Friday, February 25, 2011 6:45 AM
  • Using Backstage you can hide the default File > New with the line

<tab idMso="TabNew" visible="false">

then create a new custom tab with the Label "New"

<tab id="NewNew" label="New" insertAfterMso="TabNew">

Trouble is I can't find much in the way of resource that describes how to replicate the existing File > New with our own commands...
    Tuesday, March 1, 2011 10:52 AM