none
[MS-OXCNOTIF] Notification Flags RRS feed

• Question

• [MS-OXCNOTIF] v20110315 Section 2.2.1.4.1.1 describes a data structure called NotificationFlags

There is no documentation for the high bit in NotificationType (i.e. 0x0800).

Q1a. Is there a reason why this is not included (given the 0x0400 bit is documented as reserved)?

Q1b. Is there any documentation for this bit?

The S bit (0x4000) is documented as "If this bit is set, bit "0x800"0 MUST be set."

Q2a. Is there any significance to the positioning of the second quote mark, or is it just a typo?

Q2b. Is that meant to be "0x0080" (i.e. SearchCompleted) or 0x8000 (i.e. M bit)?

NotificationType is documented as an enum (although it looks like a set of flag bits). It looks like a notification could potentially meet more than one of those enum types (e.g. an incoming mail message could be NewMail, ObjectCreated and TableModified)

Q3. Is NotificationType strictly an enum, or is it possible that more than one bit can be set?

[These questions are all relatively low priority for me]

Brad

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 10:39 PM

Answers

• Hi Brad,

A1a. This flag is an Exchange-internal value which is never present on the wire.
    A1b. There is no documentation for this flag although there may be a future documentation change to state this flag is “reserved”.
    A2a. This is a typo and should be “0x8000”. This will be fixed in the documentation.
    A2b. This should be “0x8000” for the (M) Message flag, per A2a.
    A3. NotificationFlags as stated in 2.2.1.4.1.1 is “a 16-bit combination of an enumeration and flags”. NotificationType “is a 12-bit enumeration” and only one enumeration value can be set at a time, they cannot be used as flags. T, U, S, and M are the flags, and they can only be applied per enumeration, as documented.

Regards,
    Mark Miller
    Escalation Engineer
    US-CSS DSC PROTOCOL TEAM

Thursday, May 26, 2011 8:55 PM

All replies

• Hi Brad:

I have created a case for this inquiry. A member of the protocol documentation team will be in touch soon.

Regards, Obaid Farooqi
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 11:09 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Brad,

I will investigate this and follow up with you.

Regards,
    Mark Miller
    Escalation Engineer
    US-CSS DSC PROTOCOL TEAM

Thursday, May 19, 2011 4:36 PM
  • Hi Brad,

A1a. This flag is an Exchange-internal value which is never present on the wire.
    A1b. There is no documentation for this flag although there may be a future documentation change to state this flag is “reserved”.
    A2a. This is a typo and should be “0x8000”. This will be fixed in the documentation.
    A2b. This should be “0x8000” for the (M) Message flag, per A2a.
    A3. NotificationFlags as stated in 2.2.1.4.1.1 is “a 16-bit combination of an enumeration and flags”. NotificationType “is a 12-bit enumeration” and only one enumeration value can be set at a time, they cannot be used as flags. T, U, S, and M are the flags, and they can only be applied per enumeration, as documented.

Regards,
    Mark Miller
    Escalation Engineer
    US-CSS DSC PROTOCOL TEAM

Thursday, May 26, 2011 8:55 PM
  • Mark,

Thanks for this.

Brad

Thursday, May 26, 2011 10:42 PM