none
Problems running two Kinects RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I connected two Kinects (the xbox ones) on one PC. The first one is working fine. Unfortunately the second one is not reliably working. Very often the initialization failes. When using the binary of the compiled example SkeletalViewer an error message "Nuiinitialize failed" appears. In the code the line with API call NuiImageStreamOpen() says Access read error at 0x0... In my application the same call causes the same error. Now even with restarting the computer very often I can't get the second working at all.

With the USB cables i tried all combinations and found one for each Kinect using a seperate USB hub which works best. I use the Beta2 SDK, but I also tested the 1.0 Version. My computer is running on Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit and Visual Studio 2010 Premium. All other USB devices are unplugged. I also mounted a PCI card with more USB ports, but this did't help.

Some month ago I installed the point cloud library (PCL) 1.3.0, which installs an OpenNI driver. Removing this didn't help either. Has anyone an idea? Seriously: If ordering a new computer, does anybody knows what to take care that both kinects are reliably working?

Thanks

Chris

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 12:42 PM

Answers

• Keep in mind most of the samples, query the first sensor when it launches and if that is in use, you will get an error. The black screen is an indication that you are not getting frames in-time, which is a typically a performance issue.

Make sure each Kinect is on a seperate usb host controller and that it does not exceeding the bandwidth for that bus. How many usb ports are available on your system? Use Device Manager to go through each controller and determine what devices are consuming the bandwidth on the bus.

Thursday, March 15, 2012 5:37 PM
  • Well so far i know that skeleton tracking wont work unless you create two processes on your computer of your app or another process and use a different kinect on each process. I somewhere have the thread if I remember I will post it to show you what im talking about. But if the first kinect works I would say try looking up multiple processes in the forum because it talks about the person cant get more then one kinect to work with skeleton/depth streams unless he uses multiple processes.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda

Thursday, March 15, 2012 3:54 PM

All replies

• Hello Again,

Another problem is that the kinects suddenly returned a black depth or rgb image after some hours. That appeared randomly, like one image after another. Restarting the computer helped. Exchanging the kinect with a third kinect didn' help. That problem might be associated somehow?

Chris

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 12:45 PM
  • Did you check the power cable too for kinect? You cant activate skeleton tracking on the 2 or up kinect unless you start as a seperate process so its fooled into letting you use skeleton tracking for that second kinect but trouble is knowing which app instance has kinect 1, kinect 2 and so on.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 12:20 PM
  • Hi Thinker,

I am not using skeleton tracking at all, just the color and depth image.

Both cameras ar power supplied. The green light at the front is blinking.

The second camera used to work sometimes some time ago, but never deterministic.

Chris

Thursday, March 15, 2012 9:55 AM
  • Well so far i know that skeleton tracking wont work unless you create two processes on your computer of your app or another process and use a different kinect on each process. I somewhere have the thread if I remember I will post it to show you what im talking about. But if the first kinect works I would say try looking up multiple processes in the forum because it talks about the person cant get more then one kinect to work with skeleton/depth streams unless he uses multiple processes.

Thursday, March 15, 2012 3:54 PM
  • Keep in mind most of the samples, query the first sensor when it launches and if that is in use, you will get an error. The black screen is an indication that you are not getting frames in-time, which is a typically a performance issue.

Make sure each Kinect is on a seperate usb host controller and that it does not exceeding the bandwidth for that bus. How many usb ports are available on your system? Use Device Manager to go through each controller and determine what devices are consuming the bandwidth on the bus.

Thursday, March 15, 2012 5:37 PM
  • If you dont have enough usb bandwidth it wont work either like carmine has said above.

Thursday, March 15, 2012 7:16 PM