Which architecture use for Mobile Application ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Experts,

I am a windows mobile application developer I am using .NET 2005 & 2008 using C#, I want to know which architecture is the best for mobile application development? Which is the best one for every mobile application.

If you find my post is helpful for you then mark as a answer.
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 11:38 AM

Answers

• I wouldn't expect the architecture to be massively different.  Obviously you're going to have the compiler switch in the mobile specific compact framework stuff.

I would suggest that you create an architecture as you would on any system, and where it needs mobile specific functionality (which is most likely in the UI), create plug-ins to the system.  In this way, you can also plug-in other interfaces to make it work on the web, desktop, or whatever.

I think that the architecture is quite likely to be best served with a service based approach, but it really depends on the application, how it is to be used, how much data there is, and so on.  That is much more likely to shape your architecture, than the fact that it is on the mobile I think, especially with mobile devices now getting as powerful as they are.

I know I haven't given you any specifics there, but then again, you didn't give me any either ;)  I think that you need to do some reading to understand plug-ins, differences between developing for mobile, and developing for say web, and from that understanding it should become a lot clearer what you have to do.  You can also ask specific questions, and I willl try to answer them.

I hope that helps,

Martin.

MCSD, MCTS, MCPD. Please mark my post as helpful if you find the information good! http://www.consultantvault.com
    • Marked as answer by WmDev Monday, February 8, 2010 5:30 AM
    Friday, February 5, 2010 11:25 AM
  • Hi,

Though I am not sure we can generalise the architectural patterns for every mobile application, most of the mobile apps work on the Software + Services model. You should be able to find architectures on S+S on MSDN and other places.

The other challenge with mobile applications is the UI as somebody in this post pointed out correctly. I have read somewhere about the MVVM pattern for alternate devices that is quickly catching speed.

Sunday, February 7, 2010 4:02 PM

All replies

• Nobody know ! :(   :(
    Friday, February 5, 2010 8:57 AM
  • I wouldn't expect the architecture to be massively different.  Obviously you're going to have the compiler switch in the mobile specific compact framework stuff.

I would suggest that you create an architecture as you would on any system, and where it needs mobile specific functionality (which is most likely in the UI), create plug-ins to the system.  In this way, you can also plug-in other interfaces to make it work on the web, desktop, or whatever.

I think that the architecture is quite likely to be best served with a service based approach, but it really depends on the application, how it is to be used, how much data there is, and so on.  That is much more likely to shape your architecture, than the fact that it is on the mobile I think, especially with mobile devices now getting as powerful as they are.

I know I haven't given you any specifics there, but then again, you didn't give me any either ;)  I think that you need to do some reading to understand plug-ins, differences between developing for mobile, and developing for say web, and from that understanding it should become a lot clearer what you have to do.  You can also ask specific questions, and I willl try to answer them.

I hope that helps,

Martin.

MCSD, MCTS, MCPD. Please mark my post as helpful if you find the information good! http://www.consultantvault.com
    Friday, February 5, 2010 11:25 AM
  • Hi,

Though I am not sure we can generalise the architectural patterns for every mobile application, most of the mobile apps work on the Software + Services model. You should be able to find architectures on S+S on MSDN and other places.

The other challenge with mobile applications is the UI as somebody in this post pointed out correctly. I have read somewhere about the MVVM pattern for alternate devices that is quickly catching speed.

Sunday, February 7, 2010 4:02 PM
  • Hi Martin Platt & technocrat_aspire,

Thanks so much i got my answer :)
    Monday, February 8, 2010 5:30 AM