none
Microsoft official position on LINQ to SQL? RRS feed

• Question

• I just attended VSLive! in Las Vegas where a speaker said that:

"Entity Framework is Microsoft's officially recommended .NET data access solution".

As a team that was sold on LINQ to SQL, I'm wondering how left out in the cold we are.  I'm guessing they'll say things like "will continue to be supported" but what does that really mean?  We invested heavily in LINQ to SQL at the heart of our data access.  Should we start converting to EF?  At this point I'm a little ticked and thinking of going back to good ol' ADO.NET (fewer layers, fewer problems).

Anybody know anything?  thanks

Monday, March 17, 2014 6:08 PM

Answers

• Hello,

As far as I know, LINQ2SQL is designed specifically for SQLServer, it only supports 1 to 1 mapping of database tables, views, sprocs and functions available in Microsoft SQL Server.

The Entity Framework, it has a full provider model which means that as providers come online (and there are several in beta now and many which have committed to release within 3 months of the EF RTM), we will be able to use the EF against not only SQL Server and SQL CE but also Oracle, DB2, Informix, MySQL, Postgres, etc.

For difference, advantages and disadvantages between LINQ2SQL and Entity Framework, I think this article is good:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dsimmons/archive/2008/05/17/why-use-the-entity-framework.aspx

And this link shows the difference between LINQ2SQL and Entity Framework Intuitively

http://jinaldesai.net/linq-to-sql-vs-entity-framework/

For your question, yes, I suggest you converting to EF.

Regards.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by fiverc Friday, March 21, 2014 5:37 PM
    Tuesday, March 18, 2014 2:13 AM