Azure Website Server Time RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I published an application to the azure website located WestEurope.

I searched for the datacenter and I read that it is located in Amsterdam. Amsterdam has Timezone GMT+1. I am in Austria and here it is the same, but if I do something on server site in my code I have GMT as Timezone.

Maybe the WestEurope Datacenter is not located in Amsterdam? Where is the NorthEurope Datacenter?

What can I do with Lightswitch to change the time to GMT+1 instead of GMT? I do not like to change my code everywhere I use the server time.

Thanks.

Markus

Friday, February 22, 2013 8:18 AM

Answers

• Actually no, I didn't mean a UDF, although I suppose you could do that. I don't usually recommend that anyone use Views, or any other T-SQL, unless it's an attached data source, or the user is VERY knowledgeable about SQL Server & there's no other way.

I meant add a function (in code) to a Module (in VB, or in a static class in C#) in the Common project's UserCode folder (or in the case of LS 2012, in the Server project's UserCode folder)

Yann - LightSwitch Central - Click here for FREE Themes, Controls, Types and Commands

Please click "Mark as Answer" if a reply answers your question. Please click "Vote as Helpful" , if you find a reply helpful.

By doing this you'll help others to find answers faster.

• Marked as answer by Dragonalw Saturday, March 2, 2013 7:55 PM
    Sunday, February 24, 2013 12:45 PM

All replies

• Hello Markus,

In all MS datacenter around the world you always have UTC as "local time" on the virtual machine; on every Windows and every SQL Azure server.

Olaf Helper

Blog Xing

Friday, February 22, 2013 8:27 AM
  • I'd suggest that you write a wrapper function around your call to get the server time, & call that instead of getting the time directly. That way, you only need to make any changes (now, or in the future) in one place, instead of many.

Yann - LightSwitch Central - Click here for FREE Themes, Controls, Types and Commands

Please click "Mark as Answer" if a reply answers your question. Please click "Vote as Helpful" , if you find a reply helpful.

Friday, February 22, 2013 12:23 PM
  • Hi,

thanks for the answers.

@Olaf: Really good to know that.

@Yann: You mean that I have something like my own now function on my server code? Maybe you can give me a tip how to do something like that?

Thanks.

Markus

Saturday, February 23, 2013 9:28 AM
  • Markus,

I guess Yann means a UDF = user defined function on SQL Azure side, like:

CREATE FUNCTION dbo.MyGetDate() 
       RETURNS datetime
    AS
    BEGIN
        RETURN (SELECT DATEADD(hour, +2, GetDate()));
    END;
    GO

SELECT dbo.MyGetDate()

It add's 2 hours to the local UTC time and returns this value.

Olaf Helper

Blog Xing

Sunday, February 24, 2013 12:02 PM
  • Actually no, I didn't mean a UDF, although I suppose you could do that. I don't usually recommend that anyone use Views, or any other T-SQL, unless it's an attached data source, or the user is VERY knowledgeable about SQL Server & there's no other way.

I meant add a function (in code) to a Module (in VB, or in a static class in C#) in the Common project's UserCode folder (or in the case of LS 2012, in the Server project's UserCode folder)

• Marked as answer by Dragonalw Saturday, March 2, 2013 7:55 PM
    Sunday, February 24, 2013 12:45 PM