Biztalk vs WFF RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have two questions?

What are the common features between WWF and Biztalk and what are the divergences between both ?

If I learn WWF does automatically means that I also learned Biztalk server?

thank you

The complexity resides in the simplicity
    Sunday, December 26, 2010 10:50 AM

Answers

• Hi, MASNSN

->"So what is the difference between biztalk and WFF + App Fabric"
    BizTalk:
    BizTalk is used for system integration. for example, you run a factory, you may have a ERP system. when you order product parts from other factories, your system need to communicate with other systems. Now, it is time to use BizTalk. BizTalk can connect different system together, map message schemas. route messages(Orchestration).  BizTalk Orchestration is a message driven workflow that can coorinate different systems work together to get things done.

WF and WF4.
    WF4 is a workflow platform that is usually used to develop a long running application: OT system. Document approve system...etc. you can use WF4 to develop any system that involve human interaction, long running feature.  
    However, WF4 doesn't provde any adatper that can connect different system together. WF4 does't provide mapper and schema editor either.
    Simply put. WF4 is a platform by which you can create Orchestration kind workflow in any system installed .net 4.0.

Appfabric:
    Appfabric is a enhanced WCF/WF4 service host. it is kind of a plug-in for IIS7/7.5. You will gain a lot of benefit by using Appfabric. if you don't use Appfabric. IIS7 Installed with .NET 4.0 can also serve as a WF4 service host.

Hope this helps
    Regards

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. My Blog: http://xhinker.com
    Microsoft Windows Workflow Foundation 4.0 Cookbook
    • Marked as answer by MASNSN Wednesday, December 29, 2010 10:47 AM
    Wednesday, December 29, 2010 6:58 AM

All replies

• No, the workflow in Biztalk is not using the WF or WF4.0.

Learning the WF won't help you know the feature of Biztalk server. But if you didn't know anything about workflow before, the general idea of workflow are same.

Sunday, December 26, 2010 11:06 PM
  • Hi Hong Wang

So what is the difference between biztalk and WFF + App Fabric

Monday, December 27, 2010 10:27 AM
  • Hi, MASNSN

->"So what is the difference between biztalk and WFF + App Fabric"
    BizTalk:
    BizTalk is used for system integration. for example, you run a factory, you may have a ERP system. when you order product parts from other factories, your system need to communicate with other systems. Now, it is time to use BizTalk. BizTalk can connect different system together, map message schemas. route messages(Orchestration).  BizTalk Orchestration is a message driven workflow that can coorinate different systems work together to get things done.

WF and WF4.
    WF4 is a workflow platform that is usually used to develop a long running application: OT system. Document approve system...etc. you can use WF4 to develop any system that involve human interaction, long running feature.  
    However, WF4 doesn't provde any adatper that can connect different system together. WF4 does't provide mapper and schema editor either.
    Simply put. WF4 is a platform by which you can create Orchestration kind workflow in any system installed .net 4.0.

Appfabric:
    Appfabric is a enhanced WCF/WF4 service host. it is kind of a plug-in for IIS7/7.5. You will gain a lot of benefit by using Appfabric. if you don't use Appfabric. IIS7 Installed with .NET 4.0 can also serve as a WF4 service host.

Hope this helps
    Regards

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. My Blog: http://xhinker.com
    • Marked as answer by MASNSN Wednesday, December 29, 2010 10:47 AM
    Wednesday, December 29, 2010 6:58 AM
  • Hi Andrew

Very rich explanation Andraw, now the image is more clear. So the biztalk is a kind of WebSphere (Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). It serves to orchestrate between divers factories, meanwhile, the WF 4 is for developping long process based applications but does not mainly has as primary mission to accomplish the biztalk job. And the AppFabric is a hosting environement for WF WCF based logical units.

Thank you  

Wednesday, December 29, 2010 10:56 AM
  • Yes, I think you are in the right direction now.  

Regards
    MSDN Community Support

Thursday, December 30, 2010 3:35 AM