converting html/css website to orchard cms RRS feed

• Question

• User2139633660 posted

I have some clients with standard websites who want them to be a cms, orchard looks good, is anyone using orchard ?

Any feedback ?

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 5:54 AM

All replies

• User540310021 posted

Yes buddy i am using Orchard CMS

Orchard is a free, open source, community-focused project aimed at delivering applications and reusable components on the ASP.NET platform.

Orchard will create shared components for building ASP.NET applications and extensions, and specific applications that leverage these components to meet the needs of end-users, designers, developers, and Web professionals. Additionally, we seek to create partnerships with existing application authors to help them achieve their goals. Orchard is delivered as part of the ASP.NET Open Source Gallery under the Outercurve Foundation. It is licensed under a New BSD license, which is approved by the OSI.

The intended output of the Orchard project is three-fold:
    •Individual .NET-based applications that appeal to end-users, designers, developers, and Web professionals
    •A set of re-usable components that makes it easy to build such applications
    •A vibrant community to help define these applications and extensions

In the near term, the Orchard project is focused on delivering a .NET-based CMS application that will allow users to rapidly create content-driven Websites, and an extensibility framework that will allow developers and customizers to provide additional functionality through module extensions and themes.

Orchard Consists of many module in the Orchard Gallery section

Email Messaging - For sending activation links
    Caching - Kernel and Database caching
    Keep Alive - Which pings webpages so that the app pool doesn't recycle
    Warmup - Warmup's the pages before the web app starts or after any content is published
    Task Lease - Good for shared hosting
    Index , Search and SEO - For Searching , Indexing and SEO of the website
    Queries - Is a feature which allows us to create queries according to our site's content types like pages,blog post,blogs,comment,etc..(Kinda having a Internet SQL lol)
    Projections - Is a feature which allows to project those queries on a web page.
    Carting System/Webstore - For E-Commerce sites

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 6:42 AM
  • User540310021 posted

I have a post on how to install Orchard CMS on ur local IIS Server

http://abhishekluv.blogspot.in/2011/10/how-to-install-orchard-cms-using-iis.html

Hope you might need this to play around with Orchard CMS on ur local pc or server

Or else you can even use Microsoft Webmatrix and use the One-Click installer for Orchard CMS from within Webmatrix. 

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 6:54 AM
  • User692927448 posted

http://skywalkersoftwaredevelopment.net

http://skywalkersd.net

http://sfmsociety.com

http://sigtrium.net

http://alfen.com

All my new sites will be using Orchard. It's user friendly, looks good, modular, flexible, extensible, great performance, sites are completely customizable, great user community, a gallery with both Modules and Themes. You should definitely check it out.

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 1:57 PM
  • User2139633660 posted

thanks everyone, will give it a go, it looks like i need to learn mvc and razor anyway, so the way to go

am impressed that when i right click and view sites by skywalker i can see text, seo likes to read text, a seo friendly cms is orchard i thinkith

Thursday, May 31, 2012 8:07 AM
  • User-44433477 posted

Hi Abhishek, We have got the website designed from somebody who has given us nice jQuery powered HTML. How do i import this code in Orchard? Can I just paste & plug this code in orchard? I have just started in orchard and very new..got my first site and i see its all driven by widgets & content parts. Please let me know if you can help.

Thursday, July 26, 2012 5:38 PM
  • User540310021 posted

We have got the website designed from somebody who has given us nice jQuery powered HTML. How do i import this code in Orchard? Can I just paste & plug this code in orchard? I have just started in orchard and very new..got my first site and i see its all driven by widgets & content parts. Please let me know if you can help.

If you have a website layout design ready with you which uses HTML/JQuery...then u can create a theme in ORCHARD CMS with a file name (Layout.cshtml) inside the theme file folder u can include all the files of ur previous website design..like JQuery files,.CSS files and etc.

The whole website design is delcared inside the Layout.cshtml. You also have to create a placement.info file in your theme folder in order for the content parts to render properly on the screen. 

Example:

<Placement>
        <Place Parts_Tags_Edit="Content:7"/>
        <Match DisplayType="Detail">
            <Place Parts_Tags_ShowTags="Header:after.7"/>
        </Match>
        <Match DisplayType="Summary">
            <Place Parts_Tags_ShowTags="Header:after.7"/>
        </Match>
    </Placement>

More link on Placement.info

Inorder for your Orchard CMS site to look like your ur old site..u just need to create a theme and a Layout.cshtml and boom u have an awesome looking site.

There are many UI Frameworks like Twitter Bootstrap , Kendo UI and etc etc.

Friday, July 27, 2012 3:12 AM
  • User-44433477 posted

Forgive my ignorance Abhishek. DOnt know but I am finding it very difficult to take those first steps. For one of those of Minty pre-installed theme - i opened the Layout.cshtml and placement.info but unable to relate and understand the code blocks. Is there any way for people like me to go from the basics? Is there any screen or .cshtml file where I copy the original HTML code as it is and paste the code into that file?

<Placement>

<!--Customize where the shapes are rendered -->

<Place Parts_Tags_ShowTags="Footer:31"/>

<Match ContentType="Page">

<Place Parts_Common_Metadata="-"/>

</Match>

</Placement>

Friday, July 27, 2012 6:27 PM
  • User540310021 posted

Forgive my ignorance Abhishek. DOnt know but I am finding it very difficult to take those first steps

Dear,

Another option is that you can use the TheThemeMachine theme and apply styling to that theme by using the .CSS and other files of ur previous site design...

Saturday, July 28, 2012 8:06 AM
  • User-44433477 posted

Thanks Abhi. Some success, atleast got my logo and background image from the design applied by changing the style & scripts in TheThemeMachine Layout.cshtml but where should I embed the HTML code. Is there a straight movement? I am a new developer and not aware about the orchard syntax?

Also do you do any community service or freelancing work because my ML is asking how much will you charge to convert this theme?

thank you.

Saturday, July 28, 2012 8:04 PM
  • User540310021 posted

Dear,

You can email me on this id : abhishek@abhishekluv.in

Sunday, July 29, 2012 1:30 AM
  • User1171747385 posted

Hello Abhishek,

I'm also new in OrchardCMS. I just want to know that can we apply any html template in OrchardCMS ?

my requirement is to apply this template/Theme Click Here in OrchardCMS using Asp.Net Core 2

I get project from github and now i want to apply this template.

I hope that you help me!

Thanking you in advance.

Thursday, October 5, 2017 12:54 PM