Microsoft Access (.mdb files) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have search server 2008 express (SSE)  installed and running well.  One problem though is the contents of Access (.mdb) are not being crawled.  The file names come up in search resuklts ok, but not any information held within them.

I've tried searching for info on this but cannot find any.  Should SSE 2008 be able to crawl the contents of .mdb files or is this hard coded not to?

Cheers
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 8:14 AM

Answers

• Search Server Express does not crawl the content of Access Databases. It isn't that it is programmed "not to", but rather it is not programmed to be able to. As far as I know, there is not currently either an ifilter (file interpreter) or protocol handler (content access module) for .mdb files.

Rather than storing them in SharePoint and indexing them directly, you might consider storing them in another location and creating an ASPX to query the files and return the results in a form that you could acess with a Federated Location definition (This is also called a "Federated Connector"). You can see instructions for creating a Federated Connector here:

Federated Search SQL Server Connector Sample 

That example is for SQL Server, but the process is similar.

My blog: The Sanity Point My book: Professional Microsoft Office SharePoint Designer 2007
    • Marked as answer by Ally22 Wednesday, June 10, 2009 10:51 AM
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 10:49 AM

All replies

• Search Server Express does not crawl the content of Access Databases. It isn't that it is programmed "not to", but rather it is not programmed to be able to. As far as I know, there is not currently either an ifilter (file interpreter) or protocol handler (content access module) for .mdb files.

Rather than storing them in SharePoint and indexing them directly, you might consider storing them in another location and creating an ASPX to query the files and return the results in a form that you could acess with a Federated Location definition (This is also called a "Federated Connector"). You can see instructions for creating a Federated Connector here:

Federated Search SQL Server Connector Sample 

That example is for SQL Server, but the process is similar.

My blog: The Sanity Point My book: Professional Microsoft Office SharePoint Designer 2007
    • Marked as answer by Ally22 Wednesday, June 10, 2009 10:51 AM
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 10:49 AM
  • Thanks for this.

I work for an orgnsation of 120 users so I want to keep things as simple as possible due to limit resources.

One thing I would wish is full documentation for Search Server 2008 Express, so many questions I'm unable to get info on :(
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 10:53 AM
  • You're welcome.

As for Search Server Express documentation, while there isn't so much that is labeled as such, almost all of the information on Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (MOSS) Search applies directly to the search functionality of MSSx, as it is the same engine. Only two aspects are missing in MSSx: People Search, and Tabbed views.

Configuration wise, MSSx is limited to a single Shared Services Provider (SSP), and a single Application Server to operate as both the indexer and query server. The documentation of the roles themselves, however, is the same as for a MOSS environment with that physical configuration.

All other aspects of Search Server are identical to Windows SharePoint Services (WSS) 3.0, and therefore that documentation applies.

Wednesday, June 10, 2009 11:15 AM