none
Configuration Sharepoint Adapter with WSS 3.0 SP1 Error RRS feed

• Question

• I am receiving the following error when trying to configure the sharepoint services adapter on a windows 2003 box:

Error encoutered while querying virtual server state for URL: http//myserver/. Make sure the site is extended by Windows SharePoint Services. (CWssAdaCfg)

And form the configuation log file I have the following:

[11:20:56 a.m. Info Configuration Framework]WSSAdapterControl Load()
    [11:20:56 a.m. Info CWssAdaCfg] Entering function: CWssAdaCfg::ValidateFeature -- normal config
    [11:20:56 a.m. Info CWssAdaCfg]  Validating feature: WssAdapterWS
    [11:20:56 a.m. Info CWssAdaCfg] Leaving function: CWssAdaCfg::validateGroup
    [11:20:56 a.m. Info ConfigHelper]  Found site ID (1) for site Default Web Site
    [11:21:11 a.m. Warning ConfigHelper] d:\depot2300\mercury\private\common\configwizard\confighelper\iis.cpp(2375): FAILED hr = 800cc801

[11:21:11 a.m. Warning ConfigHelper] d:\depot2300\mercury\private\common\configwizard\confighelper\iis.cpp(2024): FAILED hr = 800cc801

[11:21:11 a.m. Warning ConfigHelper]  Failed to get IIS metabase property.  Error: -2146646015
    [11:21:11 a.m. Warning CWssAdaCfg] Checking WSS v3
    [11:21:11 a.m. Warning ConfigHelper] d:\depot2300\mercury\private\common\configwizard\confighelper\iis.cpp(2375): FAILED hr = 800cc801

[11:21:11 a.m. Warning ConfigHelper] d:\depot2300\mercury\private\common\configwizard\confighelper\iis.cpp(2024): FAILED hr = 800cc801

[11:21:11 a.m. Warning ConfigHelper]  Failed to get IIS metabase property.  Error: -2146646015
    [11:21:11 a.m. Info ConfigHelper]  Retrieved INSTALLDIR: C:\Program Files\Microsoft BizTalk Server 2006\
    [11:21:41 a.m. Error CWssAdaCfg] Failed to Execute Process
    [11:21:41 a.m. Info CWssAdaCfg]
    [11:21:41 a.m. Info CWssAdaCfg] C:\Program Files\Microsoft BizTalk Server 2006\Microsoft.BizTalk.KwTpm.StsOmInterop3.exe http://MyServer/
    [11:21:41 a.m. Error WssAdaCfg] d:\depot2300\mercury\private\kw\source\bizoffice\code\bizofficeconfiguration\wssadacfg\wssadacfg.cpp(2282): FAILED hr = 80070002

[11:21:41 a.m. Info CWssAdaCfg] Leaving function: CWssAdaCfg::ExecuteProcess
    [11:21:41 a.m. Error WssAdaCfg] d:\depot2300\mercury\private\kw\source\bizoffice\code\bizofficeconfiguration\wssadacfg\wssadacfg.cpp(785): FAILED hr = 80070002

[11:21:41 a.m. Info CWssAdaCfg] Leaving function: CWssAdaCfg::IsSiteExtendedBySharePoint
    [11:21:41 a.m. Warning CWssAdaCfg]
    [11:21:41 a.m. Error WssAdaCfg] d:\depot2300\mercury\private\kw\source\bizoffice\code\bizofficeconfiguration\wssadacfg\wssadacfg.cpp(666): FAILED hr = 80070002

[11:21:41 a.m. Error WssAdaCfg] d:\depot2300\mercury\private\kw\source\bizoffice\code\bizofficeconfiguration\wssadacfg\wssadacfg.cpp(599): FAILED hr = 80004005

[11:21:41 a.m. Info CWssAdaCfg] Leaving function: CWssAdaCfg::ValidateFeature
    [11:21:48 a.m. Info CWssAdaCfg] Entering function: CWssAdaCfg::ValidateFeature -- normal config
    [11:21:48 a.m. Info CWssAdaCfg]  Validating feature: WssAdapterWS
    [11:21:48 a.m. Info ConfigHelper] No mapping between account names and security IDs was done.
    [11:21:48 a.m. Info ConfigHelper] SharePoint Enabled Hosts is a local entity.
    [11:21:48 a.m. Info CWssAdaCfg] Group looks ok
    [11:21:48 a.m. Info CWssAdaCfg] Leaving function: CWssAdaCfg::validateGroup
    [11:21:48 a.m. Info CWssAdaCfg] Leaving function: CWssAdaCfg::ValidateFeature
    [11:21:48 a.m. Info CWssAdaCfg] Entering function: CWssAdaCfg::ValidateFeature -- normal config
    [11:21:48 a.m. Info CWssAdaCfg]  Validating feature: WssAdapterWS
    [11:21:48 a.m. Info CWssAdaCfg] Leaving function: CWssAdaCfg::validateGroup
    [11:21:48 a.m. Info ConfigHelper]  Found site ID (1) for site Default Web Site
    [11:21:48 a.m. Warning ConfigHelper] d:\depot2300\mercury\private\common\configwizard\confighelper\iis.cpp(2375): FAILED hr = 800cc801

[11:21:48 a.m. Warning ConfigHelper] d:\depot2300\mercury\private\common\configwizard\confighelper\iis.cpp(2024): FAILED hr = 800cc801

[11:21:48 a.m. Warning ConfigHelper]  Failed to get IIS metabase property.  Error: -2146646015
    [11:21:48 a.m. Warning CWssAdaCfg] Checking WSS v3
    [11:21:48 a.m. Warning ConfigHelper] d:\depot2300\mercury\private\common\configwizard\confighelper\iis.cpp(2375): FAILED hr = 800cc801

[11:21:48 a.m. Warning ConfigHelper] d:\depot2300\mercury\private\common\configwizard\confighelper\iis.cpp(2024): FAILED hr = 800cc801

[11:21:48 a.m. Warning ConfigHelper]  Failed to get IIS metabase property.  Error: -2146646015
    [11:21:48 a.m. Info ConfigHelper]  Retrieved INSTALLDIR: C:\Program Files\Microsoft BizTalk Server 2006\
    [11:22:18 a.m. Error CWssAdaCfg] Failed to Execute Process
    [11:22:18 a.m. Info CWssAdaCfg]
    [11:22:18 a.m. Info CWssAdaCfg] C:\Program Files\Microsoft BizTalk Server 2006\Microsoft.BizTalk.KwTpm.StsOmInterop3.exe http://MyServer/
    [11:22:18 a.m. Error WssAdaCfg] d:\depot2300\mercury\private\kw\source\bizoffice\code\bizofficeconfiguration\wssadacfg\wssadacfg.cpp(2282): FAILED hr = 80070002

[11:22:18 a.m. Info CWssAdaCfg] Leaving function: CWssAdaCfg::ExecuteProcess
    [11:22:18 a.m. Error WssAdaCfg] d:\depot2300\mercury\private\kw\source\bizoffice\code\bizofficeconfiguration\wssadacfg\wssadacfg.cpp(785): FAILED hr = 80070002

[11:22:18 a.m. Info CWssAdaCfg] Leaving function: CWssAdaCfg::IsSiteExtendedBySharePoint
    [11:22:18 a.m. Warning CWssAdaCfg]
    [11:22:18 a.m. Error WssAdaCfg] d:\depot2300\mercury\private\kw\source\bizoffice\code\bizofficeconfiguration\wssadacfg\wssadacfg.cpp(666): FAILED hr = 80070002

[11:22:18 a.m. Error WssAdaCfg] d:\depot2300\mercury\private\kw\source\bizoffice\code\bizofficeconfiguration\wssadacfg\wssadacfg.cpp(599): FAILED hr = 80004005

[11:22:18 a.m. Info CWssAdaCfg] Leaving function: CWssAdaCfg::ValidateFeature
    [11:23:39 a.m. Error Configuration Framework]Displaying error notification to user. Message: <Exception Message="Error encountered while querying virtual server state for URL: http://MyServer/.  Make sure the site is extended by Windows SharePoint Services." Source="CWssAdaCfg" HelpID=""><Exception Message="" Source="CWssAdaCfg" HelpID="" /></Exception>

Any ideas?

I have verified that ASP.Net 2.0 is the framework version of the sharepoint site.  I have verified the identity of the sharepoint site's application pool and the identity has access to IIS_WPG, WSS_WPG and because I was troubleshooting the error the administrators group.

I have the latest service packs on the OS.  I have 1.1, 2.0 and 3.0 of the framework and biztalk 2006 r2 installed.  The sharepoint site is browable and looks fine.  BizTalk appears normal.  I just am not able to install the sharepoint adapter.

Thursday, May 15, 2008 11:43 PM

Answers

•  

The problem was resolved, but it took an updated Microsoft.BizTalk.KwTpm.StsOmInterop3.exe to do so. 

Microsoft provided the updated .exe to use while configuring the SharePoint Adapter for Biztalk.  Once it was configured I was instructed to replace the original. 

When I asked about the root cause I was advised that "It looks like that BizTalk is using some old Sharepoint API which might not return correct site status. It will be flagged as a bug and ask for the new API in next service pack. "

-C

Wednesday, June 4, 2008 7:40 PM

All replies

• As I remember, the WSS adapter configuration is very tricky. It sounds like you have not extended the virtual server site by WSS so that the WSS adapter web services can be installed. You did not mention if you have BAS installed, but if you do, you will not have support for WSS 3 as mentioned here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb743377.aspx.  Otherwise, if BAS is not installed, I would make sure you have followed the install guide directions for installing the WSS prior to installing the adapter: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa577409.aspx.

Your error message sounds like the website for hosting the adapter's web services was not extended for WSS. See the following link for how to do this in WSS 3: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc287954.aspx.

Thanks, 

Saturday, May 17, 2008 3:38 AM
  • Thanks Ben for the post. 

I do not have BAS installed.  Sharepoint administration and sites created and extended work as expected (i.e., no errors written to event log).  That is what is odd; BTS and Sharepoint are working fine independently; the Config Editor just does not seem to recognise the site as extended.

Monday, May 19, 2008 1:48 AM
  • I think that you had to extend the site differently under WSS 2 vs. WSS 3, through different links because the admin sites worked differently. Is it possible you had WSS 2 previously installed?

Another question to ask is if the full version of MOSS has been installed prior to the BizTalk install of WSS? You might try undoing and redoing the WSS install to refresh the environment - sometimes SP installs of .NET or WSS run out of sequence can break it. You could also try just using WSS 3 without SP1.

Thanks,

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 3:06 PM
  • Did you find a solution for this?   I'm also having a problem. 

My config is 2 Biztalk 2006 R2 servers in NLB, and 2 SP 3.0 w/ MOSS in NLB.  I've had to install the Biztalk Adapter for SharePoint on the SharePoint servers.  The first one is installed and configured, but when attempting to configure the 2nd node, I get the error :

Error encountered while querying virtual server state for URL: <http://SPMD02/>.  Make sure the site is extended by Windows SharePoint Services. (CWssAdaCfg)

I've had a ticket opened w/ Microsoft for almost a month now - getting sent between Biztalk support and SharePoint support.  Neither have been able to solve it yet.

Monday, June 2, 2008 5:49 PM
  • So basically when you extend a site for WSS, it will setup a WSS database and do some logic with the IIS metabase. I am not an NLB expert, but I would wonder if WSS would use the same database for both nodes of the NLB cluster or if it will try to setup different WSS databases. It sounds like in your case the address http://SPMD02 is looking for a different WSS database. Do you know if NLB is setup correctly for a regular IIS website? Also, is the address http://SPMD02 the address of the cluster or the 2nd node in the cluster? Do you get the same result using the IP of NLB cluster if you disable the first node of the cluster?

Thanks,

Monday, June 2, 2008 6:30 PM
  •  

The problem was resolved, but it took an updated Microsoft.BizTalk.KwTpm.StsOmInterop3.exe to do so. 

Microsoft provided the updated .exe to use while configuring the SharePoint Adapter for Biztalk.  Once it was configured I was instructed to replace the original. 

When I asked about the root cause I was advised that "It looks like that BizTalk is using some old Sharepoint API which might not return correct site status. It will be flagged as a bug and ask for the new API in next service pack. "

-C

Wednesday, June 4, 2008 7:40 PM
  • C - nice find.

Something to add here folks is that there's a couple of tricks to 'fool' the bts config assistant into getting through the WSS Adapter install.

When running through the Configuration Wizard, the app looks to see if the site is extended.

(1) The CFG app will use the WSS Apis - Microsoft.Sharepoint.dll, and look to instantiate the SPSite object within there.

It needs to (i) get a connection to the site, and (ii) check the version of the site.

Part (ii) I believe is where you're coming unstuck - as in WSS you've applied SP1 (w/ updates) that affects the Version number coming back. The CFG app looks for a particular version signature - if not found= no site. An oversight I agree but an update will be on its way.

(2) (I've found) For the CFG a WSS site needs to be present in the root of your server e.g. http://server/... - if you are creating a WSS Site coll. further down the URL chain, no problems. Just make sure the CFG gets completed, then remove the root site (or from manage paths in WSS Central Admin)

(3) Nothing is done to the IIS metabase in V3.0 of WSS apart from usual IIS Site setup and classic ASP.NET stuff (e.g. mappings). All the work in WSS 3.0 is done through the Web.config found in the root of your WSS/Web Application (e.g. c:\inetpub\wwwroot\wss\,,,\80\web.config)

So that's the first part.

Once installed the 'WSS Adapter' now has a registry key under the HKLM\Software\Microsoft\BizTalk\...

The BizTalk Side:

(1) The adapter is made up of 2 components. An Adapter (old school - or BTS Framework V1.0 adapter) and a WebService that uses the WSS APIs (WSS V2.0 classically, but V3.0 maintains backward compatibility with respect to APIs) to talk to the desired 'document library' or list.

Note: If the WS is working fine, you should be able to browse to it (the *.asmx file) and get back a blank page - no errors.

This checks that permissions are correct and that IIS is setup correctly - i.e. ASP.NET 2.0 is assigned to the site.

(2) As I've done in the past, you *can* move the BTS WSS WebService to another machine (maybe a MOSS farm etc) and you simply update the Registry Key within BTS box to point to the new Webservice location.

I'd recommend using domain accounts for this, as the BTS acct that is running the 'Send WSS Adapter' needs to be able to communicate to the WSS WebService, and the WebService app pool identity needs to be able to access the WSS List. (In WSS there is still a fair amount of unmanaged code within the WSS APIs - hence the need for the app pool identity)

(3) Once you've got the BTS WSS Adapter installed - you can update WSS till your hearts content. It's just the install phase.

I hope I've been able to shed some light here for you - the big question that I've been trying to solve is - "What criteria does the CFG app look for to enable/disable the 'Install SharePoint adapter check box'?

Take care,

Thursday, June 26, 2008 1:14 AM
  • I'm having the same problem. Can you zip the exe and send it to me.

Thursday, June 26, 2008 2:53 AM
  • I don't think that would be prudent for several reasons.  Contact Microsoft and reference this forum.  I believe it would fall under the hotfix heading and there'd be no charge.

-Chris

Monday, July 7, 2008 2:18 PM
  • Chris - currently the hotfix is slated to be released with R3.

(AFIK - there's no hotfix yet)

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 11:45 PM
  • Has a hotfix/KB article published for this yet?

Cheers

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 6:51 AM