none
Rumor is ... SQL 2018 in the makings ... Is this true

Question

• One sleepless night last week (or maybe 2 weeks ago) I ran across 1 or 2 posts on the interwebs that mentioned something about an upcoming "SQL 2018" version.  It didn't peek my interest then but now I am interested and I can't seem to find them anymore and I can't recall if it was on Twitter or LinkedIn or where.  I can't find anything on it from Microsoft.

The only thing I can find now is ... (https://www.brentozar.com/archive/2016/08/upcoming-sql-server-2018-features/) ... but this was not my original source ...

So insiders ... is the rumor true or just another conspiracy ...

SOTATS, Inc.

Wednesday, November 9, 2016 3:02 AM

Answers

• Hello Ulysses,

SQL Server is one of the MS top products and you can be sure, it's in continuously developement to come out as SQL Server vNext in near future ... may be as Version 2018.

But if you looking forward for the next Feature, then follow the development of SQL Azure, meanwhile they have a monthly release cycle and new features are always released for SQL Azure before we get them for SQL Server on-premise.

For example Row-Level security, it was first relased for SQL Azure in August 2015 (Row-Level Security for SQL Database is Generally Available) before we got it on-premise.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Wednesday, November 9, 2016 7:14 AM

All replies

• Hello Ulysses,

SQL Server is one of the MS top products and you can be sure, it's in continuously developement to come out as SQL Server vNext in near future ... may be as Version 2018.

But if you looking forward for the next Feature, then follow the development of SQL Azure, meanwhile they have a monthly release cycle and new features are always released for SQL Azure before we get them for SQL Server on-premise.

For example Row-Level security, it was first relased for SQL Azure in August 2015 (Row-Level Security for SQL Database is Generally Available) before we got it on-premise.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Wednesday, November 9, 2016 7:14 AM
  • @Olaf, Thanks. I will have to pay closer attention to what is going on with SQL Azure then.  Back-In-The-Day there used to be easy ways for basically anyone to fine the latest public available "beta" of SQL Server vNext that we could download and play with ... I haven't seen that in a while ... perhaps that stream has dried up

SOTATS, Inc.

Wednesday, November 9, 2016 7:27 AM
  • I have a small 20 GB SQL Azure database for some data for being accessible from everywhere over Internet; it's around 5$ per month.

As you can see from @@Version result, current patch release is Oct 18: 

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Wednesday, November 9, 2016 5:15 PM
  • Just saw notice for "SQL Server vNext Community Technology Preview" (180 day Eval) ... https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-sql-server-vnext-ctp

So, I guess they are calling it vNext instead of SQL 2018

SOTATS, Inc.

Sunday, November 20, 2016 3:18 AM
  • So, I guess they are calling it vNext instead of SQL 2018

No Ulysses, every very next version of any MS product has the naming vNext: https://www.google.de/?gws_rd=ssl#q=microsoft+vnext

Mostly new versions of SQL Server do have a more mean full project name, like previous Hekaton, Denali or Kilimanjaro

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Sunday, November 20, 2016 9:11 AM
  • I stand corrected.  I don't when they started that practice ... but I like it.

SOTATS, Inc.

Sunday, November 20, 2016 9:18 AM