How to monitor Hyper-V network adapter RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a virtual network setup on Hyper-V and I wonder if it is possible to capture traffic over this using netmon 3.3.  It does not show up in the "Select Networks" list, though it does show up under Windows 2008 connections UI and I can pass data over it between the host and guest Hyper-V partitions.  Thanks in advance for any info.

--Shaun
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 1:12 AM

Answers

• We don't support capturing from VM to VM from a host machine.  This would be something the OS will have to add support for in order for Netmon to capture this traffic.  We will start a discussion with the OS folks in hopes of enabling this in some future version.

Thanks,

Paul

• Marked as answer by Paul E Long Wednesday, May 27, 2009 8:49 PM
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 8:49 PM

All replies

• Yes, it is possible to capture in this environment, but what is possible depends on your configuration and where/what you want to capture.

Please look at the section in the help under Using Network Monitor, Capturing Network Data, Operating in Virtual Environments.

If you need further clarification, please let us know the specific scenario and we can help.

Thanks,

Paul
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 1:46 PM
  • Thanks for the pointer.  It seems my scenario is not supported.  I want to capture traffic from the host that flows between VMs on an Internal network.  The VMs are not running the Windows OS, so its out of the question to install Netmon on one of the VM machines.  I was hoping Netmon on the host could bind to the virtual NIC created by Hyper-V in promiscuous mode.
    --Shaun
    • Marked as answer by Paul E Long Wednesday, May 27, 2009 8:47 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Paul E Long Wednesday, May 27, 2009 8:48 PM
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 4:47 PM
  • We don't support capturing from VM to VM from a host machine.  This would be something the OS will have to add support for in order for Netmon to capture this traffic.  We will start a discussion with the OS folks in hopes of enabling this in some future version.

Thanks,

Paul

• Marked as answer by Paul E Long Wednesday, May 27, 2009 8:49 PM
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 8:49 PM