Identifying Bing Ad Traffic vs. Bing Organic in Google Analytics Using Custom Code RRS feed

• Question

• I'm on a mission from my boss, who is much more well versed in codign than I am, to figure out what the string within the referrer is for Bing Ads vs. Bing organic search. I am not an expert in these things by any means, but I was able to find another guy who was doing the same thing on another forum. He shared how he did this for Google and Bing, but ran into a problem trying to identify the string from Google's Content Network. I was so happy to find his post, but he didn't actually mention the strings he identified for Bing, which is what I am after. Here is a link to his post so that someone who clearly knows more about coding than I do can explain in greater detail:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4885509/determining-origin-of-traffic-from-referrer-header-characteristics

Again, my end goal is to identify string parameters that we can integrate with our custom program that would measure how much traffic from Bing is organic vs. paid.

Thanks, and I'm sorry for the elementary explanation. I promise as soon as you answer I am going to pass it on to those who are the experts and be done!

Trevor

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 12:42 AM

All replies

• I'm on a mission from my boss, who is much more well versed in codign than I am, to figure out what the string within the referrer is for Bing Ads vs. Bing organic search. I am not an expert in these things by any means, but I was able to find another guy who was doing the same thing on another forum. He shared how he did this for Google and Bing, but ran into a problem trying to identify the string from Google's Content Network. I was so happy to find his post, but he didn't actually mention the strings he identified for Bing, which is what I am after. Here is a link to his post so that someone who clearly knows more about coding than I do can explain in greater detail:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4885509/determining-origin-of-traffic-from-referrer-header-characteristics

Again, my end goal is to identify string parameters that we can integrate with our custom program that would measure how much traffic from Bing is organic vs. paid.

Thanks, and I'm sorry for the elementary explanation. I promise as soon as you answer I am going to pass it on to those who are the experts and be done!

Trevor

The recommended way to do this is to use query string parameters via the dynamic text feature for your ads. 
    Tuesday, February 11, 2014 3:51 PM
  • Is there a way to do this from a more technical stand point as I outlined and as was mentioned in the post I linked to? Even if it is very difficult, answering his initial question and providing a solution and the alternative is better than providing just an alternative.

Thanks,

Trevor

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 8:17 PM