none
DAC Connection Ramifications RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm curious about what happens when a DAC connection is made on a SQL database server. I know that a DAC connection will not allow other DAC connections to occur, but does connecting to DAC stop any and all connections to the databases on the server? I have a stored procedure to run as DAC for my SCCM database and do not want to prevent the "normal" connections to all the other databases on the server.

Thank you.

Tuesday, January 21, 2020 9:18 PM

Answers

• The DAC will not stop other connections but be aware that the DAC has limited resources. See the notes in the documentation, especially in blocking scenarios, for more information. 

Why does the proc need to run via the DAC?

Dan Guzman, Data Platform MVP, http://www.dbdelta.com

• Marked as answer by Schappy Wednesday, January 22, 2020 2:29 PM
    Wednesday, January 22, 2020 1:56 AM

All replies

• The DAC will not stop other connections but be aware that the DAC has limited resources. See the notes in the documentation, especially in blocking scenarios, for more information. 

Why does the proc need to run via the DAC?

Dan Guzman, Data Platform MVP, http://www.dbdelta.com

• Marked as answer by Schappy Wednesday, January 22, 2020 2:29 PM
    Wednesday, January 22, 2020 1:56 AM
  • Thanks, Dan. I was just following the recommendations in the docs:

SQL Server change tracking cleanup

Applies to: Site database server

Starting in version 1810, check if the site database has a backlog of SQL change tracking data.

Manually verify this check by running a diagnostic stored procedure in the site database. First, create a diagnostic connection to your site database. The easiest method is to use SQL Server Management Studio's Database Engine Query Editor, and connect to admin:<instance name>.

In a dedicated administrator connection query window, run the following commands:

SQL<button aria-label="Copy code" class="action is-relative" data-bi-name="copy" style="box-sizing:inherit;font-family:inherit;font-size:12.8px;margin:0px;cursor:pointer;padding:2px 10px;border-left-width:1px;display:flex;-webkit-box-align:center;align-items:center;" type="button">Copy
    </button>
    USE <ConfigMgr database name>
    EXEC spDiagChangeTracking

Wednesday, January 22, 2020 2:28 PM