none
Custom contenttypes and document templates RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

This is the situation: The company where I'm working has a document library to store there word en excel templates. The templates have lifecycles, are approved and have custom properties like Validity and Expiry Date, etc.

My assignment is to make a sharepoint site where project documents can be stored. I would like to use the templates stored in the templates library. For example. There is a template "Project Plan.dotx" in the templates library on the quality management site. I create a sharepoint site with a document library and define a content type "Project Plan" and enter the URL of "Project Plan.dotx" in the template.

When I click on New > Project Plan, Word opens the right template but I also get the custom properties from the templates list like Validity and Expiry date. In my list of project document I don't want to use this properties. I would expect that the new document would be of the content type "Project Plan" and will have the properties of that content type. When the document is saved, the "content type" property is empty. This should have been "Project plan". Am I missing something?

When I download the document template and upload it to the "Project Plan" template then it works as expected.

Is there a way to store and manage all templates with sharepoint so they can be kept up to date and will be up to date in all sharepoint sites where they are used without getting the properties of the template list?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Wednesday, February 4, 2009 7:45 AM

All replies