Calculate Storage for Backup in Azure - which type should I use? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all, we are considering using Azure Storage for our Backup of our NAS.

First, I want to tell you how our environment locally looks like.

• We do have a NAS with 4 TB capacity.
    • On the NAS we are saving our recorded videos, which were taken by our GoPro. The Video Records are separated by folder. Each Video Record does contain files like .MP4, LRV and .THM. Per Video Record there could be around 50 files / items. Each Video Record can contain about 50 files. Sometimes there are also some pictures (JPG).
    • Actually, we do have a data around 450 GB.

What we want to do is save these data to Azure Storage.

Important for us is:

• The storage does not have to be performant. Because they are just storage for backup.
    • It should only charge me the consume that I needed. So, if I buy a Azure Storage which is 1TB, but I'm only using 500 GB, it should me charge the 500GB and not the 1TB.
    • The storage should be resizable. That means, one day, if the 1TB Storage for example is not enough anymore, I should be able to increase the size to 2TB, 5TB or 10TB.

Now what I do was start to calculate that with Azure Calculator. But there are many options, which makes me a little bit confusing, even I was now researching the meaning for few days.

First of all I'm not sure which of the Storage Type is the correct one for me. Is it the Block Blob storage or Disk Storage? If its Disk Storage, which one should I prefer, managed or unmanaged disk?

Thank you for your cooperation.

Tuesday, January 30, 2018 9:53 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I would advise to either use a Blob Storage or StorageV2 (general purpose v2) storage account in Cool tier. This will be the most cost-optimal solution for storing data as backup. You will only pay per GB for the size used, while the storage account can host a maximum of 500TB.

The Cool tier will cost less for the stored data, but cost more for accessing it. So lower price per month for the stored data, but when you need to restore the data, you'll pay more than "Hot" storage.

Another option is the "Storage Archive", but this is only in preview at the moment. It will cost even less per GB than Cool storage, but again more for restoring/accessing the data.

More information about storage tiers can be found here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/storage/blobs/storage-blob-storage-tiers

To get more information about pricing, check here: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/details/storage/blobs/

In regarads to Disk Storage, you would only use this if you're host a VM in Azure which will store your data. But this is a costly solution for something that Azure already offers services for.

If you have any more questions, let me know.

Floris van der Ploeg - www.florisvanderploeg.com

If my post was helpfull, remember to click the "Propose as answer" button.

• Proposed as answer by Md Shihab Wednesday, January 31, 2018 2:34 AM
    • Marked as answer by EmbaBak Monday, May 21, 2018 11:57 AM
    Tuesday, January 30, 2018 11:06 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You should prefer to use the Block Blob storage with LRS storage replication/redundancy.

Block blob is used to save the unstructured data such as Videos, images, documents and other backups at a cheap price.

Approx price as below (EAST US):

For First 1 terabyte (TB) / month ----$0.024 per GB

Next 49 TB (1 to 50 TB) / month -----$0.0236 per GB

Total cost of Block Blob storage depends on:

Volume of data stored per month.
    Quantity and types of operations performed, along with any data transfer costs.
    Data redundancy option selected.

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-in/pricing/details/storage/blobs-general/

Thanks,

Sumit

Tuesday, January 30, 2018 10:56 AM
  • @Sumitkumar_Pal

Thank you for your detailed and informative answer.

So I choosed in the Azure Calculator the Block Blob Storage with Genereal Purpose V2. Also LRS option is choosen. I have threequestions:

• Even its just for Backup, does it make sense to use only the Access Tier COLD?
    • Is it possible to attach the Blob Storage later to a VM in Azure?
    • How many "Operations" should I calculate in my case, if let's say the data which is will backup every day is 450 GB (the actual data size) then once per week there data size will increase for 50GB. So the question is, how many "write operations" / "List and Create Container Operations" / "Read operations means" should I calculate?

Thank you!

Tuesday, January 30, 2018 11:04 AM
  • Hi,

I would advise to either use a Blob Storage or StorageV2 (general purpose v2) storage account in Cool tier. This will be the most cost-optimal solution for storing data as backup. You will only pay per GB for the size used, while the storage account can host a maximum of 500TB.

The Cool tier will cost less for the stored data, but cost more for accessing it. So lower price per month for the stored data, but when you need to restore the data, you'll pay more than "Hot" storage.

Another option is the "Storage Archive", but this is only in preview at the moment. It will cost even less per GB than Cool storage, but again more for restoring/accessing the data.

More information about storage tiers can be found here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/storage/blobs/storage-blob-storage-tiers

To get more information about pricing, check here: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/details/storage/blobs/

In regarads to Disk Storage, you would only use this if you're host a VM in Azure which will store your data. But this is a costly solution for something that Azure already offers services for.

If you have any more questions, let me know.

Floris van der Ploeg - www.florisvanderploeg.com

If my post was helpfull, remember to click the "Propose as answer" button.

• Proposed as answer by Md Shihab Wednesday, January 31, 2018 2:34 AM
    • Marked as answer by EmbaBak Monday, May 21, 2018 11:57 AM
    Tuesday, January 30, 2018 11:06 AM
  • Hi,

To calculate the Operation cost you may go to the ULR: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-in/pricing/details/storage/blobs/

Also,I agree with the solution provided by Floris van der Ploeg.

Thanks,

Sumit

Wednesday, January 31, 2018 6:02 AM
  • Floris van der Ploeg

Thank's a lot for you recommendation.

I just made the calculation and saw that there are two selection with more or lese same meaning. At least for me.

There is the first section with "Write operations", "List and Create Container Operations" and "Read operations".

The second section is about "All other operations", "Data retrieval" and "Data write".

The mearning of the first section I do understand it more or less.
    But whats the mearining of the second section?

I mean they are nearly same like the options from the first section.

• What does it mean with "all other operations" - do you have an example?
    • What does it mean with "Data write"? Is that not the same like "Write operations" from the first section.
    • I believe "Data retrieval" is just a additional charge, when I'm uploading some data to Azure Storage.

Thank you.

Monday, February 5, 2018 1:03 PM
  • @EmbaBak: To understand more about the “All other operations” meter you can refer this page. For a general understanding of the overall billing mechanism for Azure Storage this blog serves as a good resource.

For detailed help on any Azure service’s pricing and billing you can create a free support ticket.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do click on "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.
    Thursday, February 8, 2018 10:07 AM