How to configure Master Target server in sql server 2005? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have lot of doubts on Master Target servers..

What is the use of Master target servers?

How to configure the Master Target server in SQL server 2005?

can i copy the maintenance Plans from Master server to Target server?

please post the your valuable Answers ASAP

Thanks   

RAM
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 1:44 PM

Answers

• Hi,
    Master and Target servers are different servers ,if u want to know more about these must be familiar with Multiserver adminisartion
    With multiserver administration, you must have at least one master server and at least one target server. 
    A master server distributes jobs to and receives events from target servers. 
    A master server stores the central copy of job definitions for jobs run on target servers. 
    Target servers connect periodically to their master server to update their list of jobs to perform. 
    If a new job exists, the target server downloads the job and disconnects from the master server.
    After the target server completes the job, it reconnects to the master server and reports the status of the job. 
    How to configure the Master Target server in SQL server 2005?
    Canot explain step by step process here ,please refer below link
    can i copy the maintenance Plans from Master server to Target server?
    Yes,when ever  configure maintenance plans automatically jobs will create in master as well target server also.
    i hope u got brief idea ,any how this is a good concept cannot fit in this post.

Sivaprasad.L Together We can Achieve
    • Edited by Siva1983 Thursday, August 18, 2011 11:01 AM format
    • Marked as answer by TSRam Monday, August 22, 2011 5:00 PM
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 11:00 AM

All replies

• Was it a feature of SQL2005 I don't remember, but using SSMS you can mark a instance as master and then define target instances for the master.

This enables copying of some task easily to target servers.

SQL Server, Denali and T-SQL Tutorials
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 2:20 PM
  • Hi,
    Master and Target servers are different servers ,if u want to know more about these must be familiar with Multiserver adminisartion
    With multiserver administration, you must have at least one master server and at least one target server. 
    A master server distributes jobs to and receives events from target servers. 
    A master server stores the central copy of job definitions for jobs run on target servers. 
    Target servers connect periodically to their master server to update their list of jobs to perform. 
    If a new job exists, the target server downloads the job and disconnects from the master server.
    After the target server completes the job, it reconnects to the master server and reports the status of the job. 
    How to configure the Master Target server in SQL server 2005?
    Canot explain step by step process here ,please refer below link
    can i copy the maintenance Plans from Master server to Target server?
    Yes,when ever  configure maintenance plans automatically jobs will create in master as well target server also.
    i hope u got brief idea ,any how this is a good concept cannot fit in this post.

Sivaprasad.L Together We can Achieve
    • Edited by Siva1983 Thursday, August 18, 2011 11:01 AM format
    • Marked as answer by TSRam Monday, August 22, 2011 5:00 PM
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 11:00 AM
  • Hi Tsram,

I hope you are doing good..

Genreally we configure the same jobs and maintaince plans in all our servers right like backup,updatestatistics,rebuild,cleanup etc...

so, we login into all servers and cerate the same jobs and maintaince planes insteated of this one we configure the master target server.

with the help of master target server we configure the common jobs and maintaince planes in our master server and the target servers download this jobs and maintaince plans.

How to configure the Master Target server in SQL server 2005?

for this one follow the below links...

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/library/ms191305(v=SQL.90).aspx

http://www.mssqltips.com/tip.asp?tip=2445

can i copy the maintenance Plans from Master server to Target server?

Already siva gave the answer for this one....

NOTE:

Before configure the master target server we must register the all the servers...

rup
    Monday, August 22, 2011 9:22 PM