none
Empty resources array when trying to geocode numeric street names. Missing errorDetails element. RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi,

    I noticed that when I try to geocode numeric street names, like for instance this Canadian address:

    449 11 avenue, Lasalle, QC,H3X1G7

    Then the JSON response will always have an empty resources array

    So my first question is there any way to work around this? Input the address a different way so that numeric street names are understood? I tried all I could think of.

    My second question is I also noticed I never get the errorDetails array, it's just not in the JSON response, ever. I'm having other addresses that are not geocoded, I just get a status 200 Ok and an empty resources array, and I can't figure it out. Is there anyway to enable this errorDetails element? It might give me some clues.

    Thanks

    Tuesday, September 18, 2012 9:27 PM

Answers

  • The main issue I see is that your postal code is missing the space after the first three characters. The structured address format assumes your address information is in the proper format and processes it as is where as the query type request is parsed first and corrected before being geocoded. If you add in the space into your second URL you will find it works.

    Also, you will only get interpolated coordinates in Canada as there is no rooftop coverage available there yet.


    http://rbrundritt.wordpress.com

    • Marked as answer by greenkarmic Wednesday, September 19, 2012 1:10 PM
    Wednesday, September 19, 2012 12:34 PM
  • The errorDeatils is only returned if there was an error processing the query. You will rarely if ever get this returned. If no match is found an empty array is returned rather than an error as it's not a error.

    As for your address issue, I'll pass this on to our geocoding team for investigation.


    http://rbrundritt.wordpress.com

    • Proposed as answer by Ricky_Brundritt Wednesday, September 19, 2012 9:55 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ricky_Brundritt Thursday, September 20, 2012 8:28 AM
    Wednesday, September 19, 2012 9:55 AM

All replies

  • The errorDeatils is only returned if there was an error processing the query. You will rarely if ever get this returned. If no match is found an empty array is returned rather than an error as it's not a error.

    As for your address issue, I'll pass this on to our geocoding team for investigation.


    http://rbrundritt.wordpress.com

    • Proposed as answer by Ricky_Brundritt Wednesday, September 19, 2012 9:55 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ricky_Brundritt Thursday, September 20, 2012 8:28 AM
    Wednesday, September 19, 2012 9:55 AM
  • Ok thanks Richard.

    Something I forgot to add is that if I take those problem addresses that the REST service doesn't find, and I copy paste them in another little application I made that uses the Bing Map geocoder service included in the ArcGIS JavaScript API (that is, esri.virtualearth.VEGeocoder), then they are found. EXCEPT for those using numeric street names (e.g. 449 11 avenue, Lasalle, QC,H3X1G7). It still doesn't find those.

    Take for instance this other Canadian address, which doesn't have a numeric street name:

    8660 RUE JEAN-BRILLON, LASALLE, H8N2G3

    http://serverapi.arcgisonline.com/veadaptor/production/services/geocode/geocode?query=8660%20RUE%20JEAN-BRILLON%2C%20LASALLE%2C%20H8N2G3&token=censored&culture=en-US&callback=dojo.io.script.jsonp_dojoIoScript55._jsonpCallback

    Returns an interpolated position (which is pretty close to the real position)

    But the same address using the REST service returns an empty resources array:

    http://dev.virtualearth.net/REST/v1/Locations/CA/QC/H8N2G3/Lasalle/8660%20RUE%20JEAN-BRILLON?key=censored&o=json


    I tried to find a pattern, something in common for all those addresses that failed, and the only one I can see (excluding those with numeric street names), is that those are addresses for large buildings, e.g. apartment blocs.



    • Edited by greenkarmic Wednesday, September 19, 2012 12:02 PM grammar
    Wednesday, September 19, 2012 12:02 PM
  • The main issue I see is that your postal code is missing the space after the first three characters. The structured address format assumes your address information is in the proper format and processes it as is where as the query type request is parsed first and corrected before being geocoded. If you add in the space into your second URL you will find it works.

    Also, you will only get interpolated coordinates in Canada as there is no rooftop coverage available there yet.


    http://rbrundritt.wordpress.com

    • Marked as answer by greenkarmic Wednesday, September 19, 2012 1:10 PM
    Wednesday, September 19, 2012 12:34 PM
  • Indeed I went and checked my list of failed addresses, and they were all missing the space in the postal code. Can't believe I didn't notice that.

    Good catch, many thanks Richard.

    Wednesday, September 19, 2012 1:09 PM
  • I was only able to catch that one because I'm originally from Canada =0)

    http://rbrundritt.wordpress.com

    Wednesday, September 19, 2012 2:21 PM