none
How to identify the key for custom dictionary for MS word in windows registry RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am working with a .Net application. I need to apply spell check to my project for that purpose I am accessing dictionary used in MS word. I want to access the path of the installed MS word through registry so that I can access the dictionary and can apply spell check. 

I want to know how can I identify that which key should I use to extract the path and how these keys have been created as the registry has the multiple keys.

Below are the key list:

"1_ankma@nder.com_AD"

"1_ankma@nder.com_AD_external"

"2_ankma@nder.com_AD"

"2_ankma@nder.com_AD_external"

I want to know how these key names have been assigned. As per my understanding those are having prefix "1_" and ends by "AD" that says it is the default dictionary. Is it? and also what this "AD" and "AD_external" stands for. 

• Edited by AnkushSharma2728 Wednesday, November 15, 2017 10:59 AM
    • Moved by CoolDadTx Wednesday, November 15, 2017 3:00 PM Office related
    Wednesday, November 15, 2017 10:57 AM

Answers

• Hi AnkushSharma2728,

It seems that you want to get the path of the default custom dictionary file. I would suggest you get this path from Dictionaries.ActiveCustomDictionary directly.

Such as

Set dicCustom = Application.CustomDictionaries.ActiveCustomDictionary
    MsgBox dicCustom.Path & Application.PathSeparator & dicCustom.Name

Best Regards,

Terry

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 17, 2017 10:26 AM

All replies

• Hi AnkushSharma2728,

Where did you get the key list? What do you mean default dictionary? How do you apply spell check in your project?

Which dictionary do you want to access? For a built-in dictionary, such as English or French, as far as I know, Microsoft does not provide detail word list of it. For a custom dictionary, you could go to

"C:\Users\v-username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\UProof"

to open the document and check its words list.

Best Regards,

Terry

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 16, 2017 6:16 AM
  • I am unable to post any image as attachment. It gives me an error "body text cannot contain images until we verify your account".

Please fix it first so that I can share you the screenshot of my requirements.

For the ref to the above reply.

"I want to access the dictionary that are being used in MS word. When we type something in Word document if the text does not exists in the "word dictionary" it will give a red line underneath. We can add it to dictionary by clicking the right mouse button over the word and by choosing the add to dictionary option. It will add the word in the custom dictionary.

We do have a option in MS word to change the default dictionary for WORD. So I want to access that path thru registry.

To do so I got the key from windows registry,

Path : HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Proofing Tools\1.0\Custom Dictionaries"

Keys have already been shared in the initial post.

Thanks

Thursday, November 16, 2017 11:44 AM
  • Hi AnkushSharma2728,

It seems that you want to get the path of the default custom dictionary file. I would suggest you get this path from Dictionaries.ActiveCustomDictionary directly.

Such as

Set dicCustom = Application.CustomDictionaries.ActiveCustomDictionary
    MsgBox dicCustom.Path & Application.PathSeparator & dicCustom.Name

Best Regards,

Terry

Friday, November 17, 2017 10:26 AM
  • Thanks for the help. it works :)

Thanks

Ankush

Thursday, November 30, 2017 9:57 AM