none
Export Control Regulation on VSTO and PIA RRS feed

• Question

• We plan to include VSTO and PIA into our installer.

Due to export control regulation in some countries (Japan & Malaysia), we would like to know whether PIA and VSTO contains any cryptography or encryption algorithm that could possibly violate the export control regulation or classified as control item.

Thank you.

• Moved by Mike Kinsman Friday, July 1, 2011 2:52 PM Question on VSTO (From:MSDN Subscriptions Feedback)
    Friday, July 1, 2011 6:05 AM

Answers

• Hi Wendy,

It’s based on my experience that VSTO will not be affected by what you said.

On technical side that VSTO developed on .NET Framework its managed code for the system. CLR will explain it to computer and managed its process. You code is able to be recognized by specific CLR.

On culture side .Net Framework provide “System.Globalization” for i18n. You can create localization assembly to fix run your code in deferent culture environment.

On security side .Net Framework provide “System.Security.Cryptography” namespace, and most of the general encryption/decryption algorithm you are able find here. If you use this to encrypt your project I think it will not exist any problem to decrypt it at other country via .Net Framework.

If I have misunderstood anything please feel free to let me know.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 7:11 AM

All replies

• Hi Wendy,

Thanks for posting the MSDN Forum.

Would you please tell me more details about your goal:

1.       What’s the mean of “export control regulation”? Do you want to say you want to localization the control to fit different language culture?

2.       Does the control  be create in a VSTO add-in?

3.       Which version of VSTO runtime you will use?

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, July 4, 2011 5:26 AM
  • Hi Tom,

For your information, Export control laws are federal regulations that control the conditions under which certain information, technologies, and commodities can be transmitted overseas to anyone. it prohibits the unlicensed export of certain materials or information for reasons of national security or protection of trade.

Hence, we would like to know whether PIA or VSTO contains any encryption algorithm that could possibly voilate above regulation as we plan to include them into our installer.

VSTO version: VSTO 2005 and VSTO 3.0.

Thank you.

Wednesday, July 6, 2011 3:50 AM
  • Hi Wendy,

According to your description, you want to encryption the document to avoid the Export Control Regulation before you transfer it.

Would you please clarify which kind of document you want to encrypt? Word? Excel? Or PowerPoint Presentation?

If I have misunderstood anything, please feel free to let me know.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]

Wednesday, July 6, 2011 9:07 AM
  • Tom,

I believe it's the opposite problem: to export in some countries, you have to prove that your product/code is what you say it is, and is not a threat to national security - and if the code uses encryption, you can run into problems. In that case, Wendy's problem is that her code uses VSTO, and she wants to know whether it uses some form of technology that could cause a problem when exporting her code to another country.

(and I have no idea about the answer, although I would be surprised if there was an issue)

Wednesday, July 6, 2011 9:54 AM
  • Hi Mathias,

Thank you for your explanation, this is our main concern to include VSTO and PIA in our product.

Hi Tom,

Can you please refer to Mathias's explanation and we are actually develope the Outlook Addin by using VSTO technology.

Thank you :)

Wednesday, July 6, 2011 10:14 AM
  • Hi Wendy,

It’s based on my experience that VSTO will not be affected by what you said.

On technical side that VSTO developed on .NET Framework its managed code for the system. CLR will explain it to computer and managed its process. You code is able to be recognized by specific CLR.

On culture side .Net Framework provide “System.Globalization” for i18n. You can create localization assembly to fix run your code in deferent culture environment.

On security side .Net Framework provide “System.Security.Cryptography” namespace, and most of the general encryption/decryption algorithm you are able find here. If you use this to encrypt your project I think it will not exist any problem to decrypt it at other country via .Net Framework.

If I have misunderstood anything please feel free to let me know.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 7:11 AM