How to extend Expression Blend 3 trial period? RRS feed

• Question

• The trial period for Expression Blend 3 is almost over.  I want to continue to explore it and to use it for a project.  I can't buy it though because the price is extremely high.  It's $349 (upgrade) - $599 !!!  Even if I qualified for the upgrade price, it is far too expensive.  I wonder why Microsoft doesn't sell it at a reasonable price, which would be about $69?

So is there a way to keep extending the trial version after 60 days?

Tuesday, October 6, 2009 9:40 AM

Answers

• The price is not high for a professional tool like Blend 3, but I agree there is a problem in the fact Microsoft is not offering a "express" version of Blend.

If Microsoft wants Silverlight/WPF to take off, development tools like Blend (the only one to template controls, to create storyboard...) must be released at a very low price, the best, as free "express" products. That's the case for Visual Studio but the latter can't help a lot when creating new interface with SL/WPF.

Unfortunately, if Microsoft does not change on this point, there is no legal way to extend the trial for Blend...

Semi-legal way can be to change the date of your PC but I'm not sure it will not be detected... And all your work will be bad stamped (very dangerous for backup for example).

So the best is to contact Microsoft, not here on this technical forum, but directly the commercial service, to explain. Perhaps they will ear the need and will change their pricing of Blend...

Tuesday, October 6, 2009 9:56 AM
  • You can always run the trial of blend on a virtual pc.

Personally I think the price is too high and blend should be included as part of your VS licence.

Additionally why not look into some of the offerings from MS for developers. There's the action pack which is fairly cheap and gives you access to a lot of the MS stack. Or you could look at BizSpark which is a free program for startups that licences you to use the entire MS stack.

http://www.microsoft.com/BizSpark/Startup/Signup.aspx

I've signed up to BizSpark for a side project I am working on. Was straight forward to join and I have been given an MSDN account for free. Try using the direct to microsoft option as the 2 partners I originally contacted didn't get back to me.

Tuesday, October 6, 2009 11:30 AM

All replies

• The price is not high for a professional tool like Blend 3, but I agree there is a problem in the fact Microsoft is not offering a "express" version of Blend.

If Microsoft wants Silverlight/WPF to take off, development tools like Blend (the only one to template controls, to create storyboard...) must be released at a very low price, the best, as free "express" products. That's the case for Visual Studio but the latter can't help a lot when creating new interface with SL/WPF.

Unfortunately, if Microsoft does not change on this point, there is no legal way to extend the trial for Blend...

Semi-legal way can be to change the date of your PC but I'm not sure it will not be detected... And all your work will be bad stamped (very dangerous for backup for example).

So the best is to contact Microsoft, not here on this technical forum, but directly the commercial service, to explain. Perhaps they will ear the need and will change their pricing of Blend...

Tuesday, October 6, 2009 9:56 AM
  • Is there a legal way, such as deleting something that the Expression Blend 3 install puts on your disk drive that it uses to detect the installation date?  Is there a file or files that contains the date?  Does EB3 trial check the date of a particular file that it creates at installation time?

I wouldn't mind having to do something every 60 days to extend the trial.  There is no way an individual programmer such as myself can put out $349 - $599 for a special purpose tool such as Expression Blend 3.

Are there any competing products put out by another company that do the same thing?  They wouldn't have to be integrated into Visual Studio.  I would expect that someone must have thought that the high price is an opportunity for them to sell a lower priced competitive product.

Tuesday, October 6, 2009 11:17 AM
  • You can always run the trial of blend on a virtual pc.

Personally I think the price is too high and blend should be included as part of your VS licence.

Additionally why not look into some of the offerings from MS for developers. There's the action pack which is fairly cheap and gives you access to a lot of the MS stack. Or you could look at BizSpark which is a free program for startups that licences you to use the entire MS stack.

http://www.microsoft.com/BizSpark/Startup/Signup.aspx

I've signed up to BizSpark for a side project I am working on. Was straight forward to join and I have been given an MSDN account for free. Try using the direct to microsoft option as the 2 partners I originally contacted didn't get back to me.

Tuesday, October 6, 2009 11:30 AM
  • I joined the BizSpark program and downloaded Expression Blend 3.  I had already applied, but hesitated because I wasn't sure about it.  But it turned out to be the right fit for me because I have a start-up company that is developing 2 products that will not produce income until they are completed.  If all goes well, and at least one of the products is a winner, the price of Expression Blend and other Microsoft tools will no longer be an issue!  However, I think the price of EB3 is too high for many programmers who wish to explore it on their own, outside of the companies they work for.

Wednesday, October 7, 2009 10:39 AM