An unhandled exception has occurred RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

My desktop application under test crushed, if I run my automation test with Windows 10.
    I got this message:
    An unhandled exception has occurred  in the monitored application:
    Second chance exception 0xC000D00ED ACCESS_VIOLATION occurred at 0x57909C05 (in C:\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft Silverlight\5.1.50901.0\npctrl.dll)
    could someone give me some insight?
    Thanks

• Edited by Test_TA Wednesday, September 6, 2017 11:49 AM
    Tuesday, September 5, 2017 9:24 AM

All replies

• Hi Test_TA,

According to the ACCESS_VIOLATION exception, this problem should related to the access permissions for the npctrl.dll when running your automation test. Please execute your automation test as administrator to make sure it has enough permissions to do any operations.

In addition, please tell us what detailed steps that you do and share a sample project to help us reproduce your problem.

Since this issue only occurs when automated by a UI Automation client application, it should not related to your Silverlight application itself. Please check the Windows Event View, whether there has any useful logs related to the UI Automation client application.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 6, 2017 7:40 AM
  • Hi Weiwei,

Thanks for your answer.

I start always ours desktop application as administrator, i have checked the Windows Event View and i have found those Errors:

1)
    - <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    - <System>
      <Provider Name="Application Error" />
      <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
      <Level>2</Level>
      <Task>100</Task>
      <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
      <TimeCreated SystemTime="2017-09-06T09:40:12.652397100Z" />
      <EventRecordID>14076</EventRecordID>
      <Channel>Application</Channel>
      <Computer>TA-RUNNER-10</Computer>
      <Security />
      </System>
    - <EventData>
      <Data>VistaSoft.exe</Data>
      <Data>2.1.0.6876</Data>
      <Data>59a6bd68</Data>
      <Data>coreclr.dll</Data>
      <Data>5.1.50901.0</Data>
      <Data>57c7a855</Data>
      <Data>8013150a</Data>
      <Data>000475ff</Data>
      <Data>2d3c</Data>
      <Data>01d326e721790658</Data>
      <Data>C:\Program Files\Duerr\VistaSoft\Clients\VistaSoft.exe</Data>
      <Data>c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Silverlight\5.1.50901.0\coreclr.dll</Data>
      <Data>31bf7ec1-728e-4918-8927-5f3fbe3ba883</Data>
      <Data />
      <Data />
      </EventData>
     </Event>

and
    2)
    - <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    - <System>
      <Provider Name=".NET Runtime" />
      <EventID Qualifiers="0">1023</EventID>
      <Level>2</Level>
      <Task>0</Task>
      <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
      <TimeCreated SystemTime="2017-09-06T09:40:12.542410800Z" />
      <EventRecordID>14075</EventRecordID>
      <Channel>Application</Channel>
      <Computer>TA-RUNNER-10</Computer>
      <Security />
      </System>
    - <EventData>
      <Data>Application: VistaSoft.exe CoreCLR Version: 5.1.50901.0 Description: The process was terminated due to an internal error in the .NET Runtime at IP 565C75FF (56580000) with exit code 8013150a.</Data>
      </EventData>
      </Event>

To reproduce this Problem,i wrote a function in the Loop and after a while the application crushed.

Best Regards,

Test_TA

• Edited by Test_TA Wednesday, September 6, 2017 1:31 PM
    Wednesday, September 6, 2017 12:38 PM
  • Hi Test_TA,

According to the error message, this problem is related to the .NET Runtime. Which version of .NET version do you use for your Silverlight application? Please try change another version of .NET Framework to check whether this problem still exist.

And since this problem occurs when the function executed in the Loop, please check your machine performance to check whether it is busy (high CPU and Memory) after this function execute times. You need to debug your function code to make sure it has release all object when the function executed complete every time.

If possible, please share some code snippet to help us reproduce this problem, which could let us find out what happened in your code.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 7, 2017 1:29 AM
  • Hi Weiwei,

Our R&D have investigated the problem and found out that the Silverlight modules actually crash.
    When i am working with the application using an automated tool ( Microsoft Inspect), this tool calls the UIAutomation provider functions. These calls cause the internal technical issues. This is not a bug in the tested application because the UIAutomation provider is added to the application by the IDE. 
    I can provide you with the dmp file , if you need it for more investigation.
    P.S. I am using .NET Framework 4.7 with the update: 460798.

Best Regards,
    Test_TA

• Edited by Test_TA Wednesday, October 4, 2017 9:55 AM
    Thursday, September 28, 2017 9:32 AM
  • Hi Test_TA,

Please provide some detailed steps or a sample project to help us reproduce this issue.

In addition, since Silverlight just a plugin in, I suggest you try uninstall and reinstall to check whether there has any problem in your Silverlight installation. And you also could try on another machine to check whether this issue related to your current machine environment.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

MSDN Community Support

Friday, September 29, 2017 5:46 AM
  • Hi Weiwei,

My msdn account has not been verified yet that's why i can't insert image or link here.

I have tested the application manually using microsoft inspect. If i click some buttons in the tested application, the application closes automatically and if i repeat the same steps without microsoft inspect, the tested  application remains open.

This problem is occured on five different computers . We are sure that the issue is related with the calls of the UIAutomation provider functions as i mentioned before and have nothing to do with PC environment  or Silverlight update.

Can you please tell me how can i provide you with the tested application?

Best Regards,

Test_TA

• Edited by Test_TA Wednesday, October 4, 2017 9:54 AM
    Friday, September 29, 2017 6:26 AM
  • Hi Test_TA,

You could upload the sample project to OneDrive and share a link here (you could past the link as common text). And then please provide the detailed steps to help me reproduce this issue.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

MSDN Community Support

Monday, October 2, 2017 6:04 AM
  • Hi Weiwei,

You can download the application and TC project from the following link:

https://app.proom.de/FileDownload.ashx?FileId=1dbf9608-0bfa-62e6-7128-6ee4a23223fb&PublicCheck=True&Checksum=K9KzIp&UniqueId=c33cfada-8422-b1cc-1201-c5c9cc235619

The test.zip contains also a "how to start the test" document.

Please tell me as soon as possible, if you could reproduce the issue.

Regards,

Test_TA

• Edited by Test_TA Wednesday, October 4, 2017 1:44 PM
    Wednesday, October 4, 2017 9:53 AM
  • Hi Weiwei,

Do you have any new findings?

Could you reproduce the issue?

Regards,

Test_TA

Monday, October 9, 2017 8:13 AM
  • Hi Test_TA,

Your sample project is too large (about 1.25G) which is not allow me download it in my company. It always prompt me that "The TEST.7z download was interrupted".

I need to try download and test it from my home machine later to check whether it could be downloaded successful. Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

MSDN Community Support

Monday, October 9, 2017 8:36 AM
  • Hi Weiwei,

I have splitted the zip file in four sections, please download them from the following links:

1. https://app.proom.de/FileDownload.ashx?FileId=c1367827-7af1-1fe1-7a6f-5f5d6d3a22c3&PublicCheck=True&Checksum=FlCuXy&UniqueId=bd767cff-7499-2551-f1f1-fb06332f172b
    2. https://app.proom.de/FileDownload.ashx?FileId=5290863f-4726-4379-82c0-0f076780d099&PublicCheck=True&Checksum=sSPoVF&UniqueId=972cb756-ae00-c8e4-b50d-f918f901ae64
    3. https://app.proom.de/FileDownload.ashx?FileId=32bf3f65-00e9-8fd2-c9cc-ad731c022f6e&PublicCheck=True&Checksum=PCxsCI&UniqueId=ffdd777e-a4d4-03cf-879d-3ffe64eac640
    4. https://app.proom.de/FileDownload.ashx?FileId=60784a11-c3e6-dd54-46b4-8c817f4125ee&PublicCheck=True&Checksum=SmdQA3&UniqueId=add456c5-5a6d-3ab4-938f-d88f1619dd11

P.S. If you want to test the application manually you need only the links 2, 3 and microsoft inspect.

Best Regards,

Test_TA

• Edited by Test_TA Monday, October 9, 2017 11:22 AM
    Monday, October 9, 2017 9:59 AM
  • Hi Test_TA,

I run the Test Automation project for the VistaSoft program and it could run successful without the program crashed. I don't reproduce your problem. So your Test project and VistaSoft program are all correct.

According to the Silverlight version in your original post, it is 5.1.50901.0. The latest version at present is 5.1.50907.0. Please update your Silverlight and try run your test again.

In addition, please change another machine to check whether there has any programs on your current machine causes the Silverlight crashes.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, October 10, 2017 2:50 AM
  • Hi Weiwei,

I have installed the new Silverlight version and i still have the same issue ;(

Can you login to my computer to check the Problem?

Here is the link to the dmp.file

https://app.proom.de/FileDownload.ashx?FileId=3f1c82e2-16fb-5967-93a6-b92ed773267d&PublicCheck=True&Checksum=rVi5dT&UniqueId=4d9fe931-d9b6-f6f7-7862-983e204bcce7

Best Regards

Test_TA

• Edited by Test_TA Tuesday, October 10, 2017 8:17 AM
    Tuesday, October 10, 2017 7:12 AM
  • Hi Test_TA,

I'm afraid that I could not login your computer to check the problem because of the forum policy.

I suggest you use Coded UI Test to record your action and test your program automatically. Please check whether it also causes your program crash. If it works fine with Coded UI, I think the problem should be related to the third part tool that you used to record your program.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, October 11, 2017 8:39 AM
  • Hi Weiwei,

Can you please attach a screenshot of the results of your test automation project.

I think you may have executed the test incorrectly, because i am sure the test should fail.

Best Regards,

Test_TA

• Edited by Test_TA Wednesday, October 11, 2017 1:35 PM
    Wednesday, October 11, 2017 1:30 PM
  • Hi Test_TA,

Sorry for my mistake. I run your test until the run number = 4 and exist the test, but the test failed when run number = 6.

So after re-run your test until run number = 6, I get the same error with you.

Could you share some code snippet about how your program use Silverlight assemblies? I need to create a sample project to check whether there has any problem on your code that call Silverlight function.

If possible, you could test other functions in your program to check whether they are all has same issue when call the Silverlight functions.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

MSDN Community Support

Thursday, October 12, 2017 1:56 AM
  • Hi Weiwei,

Glad to hear that you could reproduce the problem.

If you analyse the dmp file you will find out that the crash happened in the Silverlight UI modules and have nothing to do with VistaSoft code.

I have already tested other functions in the code and the same problem occurs spontaneously.

Can you access to the internal code of Silverlight?

Here is a screenshot of the Call Stack where the crash happened.

Best Regards,

Test_TA

• Edited by Test_TA Monday, October 16, 2017 2:06 PM
    Monday, October 16, 2017 11:52 AM
  • Hi Weiwei,

Do you have any new findings?

Regards,

Test_TA

Thursday, October 26, 2017 10:54 AM